Update Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus AOKP Unofficial Jelly Bean 4.1
An XDA forum member, hoang81, posted a new AOKP Unofficial Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Use the info in this article and learn how to successfully install all the files and get the Jelly Bean 4.1 OS on your smartphone.
The Sprint Galaxy Nexus received this update recently and it packs the AOKP features along with some other ones borrowed from CyanogenMod 10 ROM. The theme chooser app is taken from CyanogenMod and now you can use it on your Sprint variant of GNex smartphone. It is an early preview build and you shouldn’t use it on a daily basis as it might pack some errors and that would be annoying from time to time. If you want to be sure that you install this update correctly, you should read the preparation guide below and learn what steps to take so that you’ll create backups of apps, pictures, bookmarks etc.
Make sure that your read the guidelines below and if you’re a beginners, then you should use the comments section and post your questions to learn more on how to apply all the ROM files correctly without risking any damage for your smartphone. Here’s what you need to know:
- install this AOKP preview Jelly Bean ROM only on the Galaxy Nexus Sprint variant phone. Do not attempt to install the files you find in this article on any other Android device, as it won’t work or worse, you might end up bricking them.
- the tutorial will tell you to apply the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ step and this means that all installed apps and other files will be removed from it. The only part that won’t be changed will be the SD card, which is where you should move all the files that you don’t want to lose. After the update is complete, you will be able to restore the files from it.
- since this release is an Alpha build of AOKP-based Jelly Bean 4.1 you shouldn’t use it as a daily ROM, but, instead you should create a full backup of the existing Galaxy Nexus Sprint ROM and, in case something goes wrong or you simply don’t like this new ROM, then you will be able to restore the backup.
- backup applications, Call Logs, SMS and the APN internet settings with the following applications for Android devices: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync the Phone Contacts with the Gmail account assigned for your smartphone and you won’t lose any saved phone numbers in the process.
- In order to successfully flash this new ROM, your device should have its bootloader unlocked, it should be rooted and CWM Recovery should be installed on it. Without these requirements met you won’t be able to complete the installation.
- Before moving to the tutorial you should make sure that you charge the smartphone’s battery so that it won’t power OFF during the installation of AOKP preview Jelly Bean custom ROM.
- Remember that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and your device stops working after the update. This guide is for Android enthusiasts that wish to get a taste of the new AOKP and Jelly Bean features.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, you’re free to move to the tutorial. In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for our help in comments and we will try to help you finish the update.
Install AOKP Preview Jelly Bean 4.1 custom ROM on Sprint Galaxy Nexus
- Download the AOKP alpha build ROM from HERE. Do not unzip the archive.
- Next, you need to download the GApps for Jelly Bean file from HERE. Also, do not unzip its files. This is a package that contains Google Apps such as Gmail, Gtalk, Play Store, Google Now etc. Save the file on your PC like the ROM one.
- Now move both these files on your device’s internal sdcard. After you transfer the files you should disconnect the phone from your PC and then Power it OFF completely.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode by pressing and holding ‘power’ + ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’. These buttons will load FASTBOOT mode and then from the options menu you should select ‘Recovery’ and wait for it to load. When the CWM Recovery boots and you see its main menu, move to the next step.
- From the ClockworkMod Recovery menu select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm that you wish to apply this action. When the data is wiped you should move to the next step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file, the one you moved on your device at step 2. Install it and then move to the next step.
- Repeat the actions at step 6 and this time install the GApps file. Do not flash the same ROM twice.
- When both the AOKP preview Jelly Bean ROM and the Google Apps zip were installed successfully you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and now your Sprint GNex phone will start the first boot in the new ROM. When the home screen loads, you will have to enter your Google account credentials and take control over the smartphone and the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1 ALPHA build ROM.
Note: In case the update isn’t applied correctly and the first boot process takes over fifteen minutes to complete, then you will have to remove the phone’s battery, re-insert it back and then repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 3. Eventually you will manage to flash all the files and the update will successfully installed. If you have other problems, then you should use the comments section and ask for our help.
I hope that this update was applied with success and now you should begin the testing of it and make sure that you restore all the applications, phone contacts and all the other backup files. In case you don’t like this new ROM, then you can use the backup of the previous installed ROM and restore it. I think that these are all the instructions I had for you and now you should enjoy your brand new Jelly Bean AOKP alpha ROM.
If you have other tips and tricks, applications or files that can be used to improve the overall performance of the Sprint Galaxy Nexus, then I strongly recommend you to tell us at the end of this post. Also, use the device name link, the one listed under this article’s photo and you’ll find other related guides and tutorials.