Update Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus L700 with Unofficial AOKP JB 4.2.1 custom ROM
The Galaxy Nexus Sprint variant can be upgraded to Android 4.2.1 using an unofficial build of AOKP custom ROM. Use all the instructions that I have listed in this post and you should be able to install the new ROM on your smartphone.
AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM has been created and released by ‘hoang81′, an XDA developer. The custom ROM is based on AOSP kernel of Android 4.2.1 JOP40D firmware. You can easily learn how to successfully flash this updating file by firstly reading the preparation guide below. Make sure that you read all the info listed below so that you’ll manage to install the custom Jelly Bean ROM at your first attempt without losing any important data.
Here’s what you need to take into consideration before moving the to the ‘how to flash AOKP JB 4.2.1 custom ROM on Galaxy Nexus L700′:
- Use this guide only with the Sprint variant of Galaxy Nexus model number L700. Do not try to install the files you find in this post on any other Android device.
- Your device should be on an unlocked bootloader, rooted and running the CWM Recovery. Without these requirements you cannot install this new build of AOKP JB custom ROM on your device.
- Use CWM Recovery and create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM. This will act as cover in case you don’t like the new custom ROM or you lose any data files during the install.
- Create backups of SMS, Call Logs, APN Internet Settings and create a list of installed apps using the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Some of these tools will ask for root access and you should grant it.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account using the instructions listed HERE.
- Enable USB debugging from the Android Developer Options.
- Make sure that your device’s batter is charged so that it won’t power off during the installation of the new ROM.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong and you cannot complete the update or you lose data files in the process. Make sure that you know what you’re doing before moving to the tutorial guide.
- Don’t skip any steps listed below. If you are unsure about some of the actions listed in the tutorial, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, move to the how-to part of this post.
How to install Unofficial AOKP JB 4.2.1 custom ROM on Galaxy Nexus L700 Sprint:
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE. Save it on your PC desktop screen and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Gapps for this ROM from HERE. (Get the variant for Android 4.2.1 / CM 10.1 JB)
- When the files are downloaded you need to connect your smartphone to your PC. Move the zip files on the Galaxy Nexus internal SD card.
- After the files are copied successfully, disconnect the device from computer. Power off the phone now and boot it into CWM Recovery.
- The CWM Recovery mode can be accessed by pressing at the same time these buttons: Volume Up, Volume Down and Power. Fastboot mode will appear and here you need to select ‘Recovery’ option. Wait for the phone to show the CWM Recovery main screen and then get to the next step.
- Use the ‘Backup and Restore’ option to create a ROM NANDROID backup of your currently installed OS. If you already have such file then you can skip this step.
- Now, choose ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then confirm the action.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP JB 4.2.1 custom ROM zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the ROM installs successfully you should select once again the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Find the Gapps for JB 4.2.1 zip and confirm its installation.
- After both zip files have been installed you should return to the main menu of CWM Recovery.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- The Galaxy Nexus L700 will start its first boot process with the new ROM and this shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
- Enter your Google Account details when you see the welcoming screen and then begin testing the new Android Jelly Bean custom ROM.
If the first boot process with this new ROM takes too long to complete, then you will have to power off the device and then repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4. Eventually you should be able to flash all the required files in no time and your smartphone will be upgraded to the latest unofficial AOKP 4.2.1 JB custom ROM.
If you have any other questions, then you should post them in our comments section.