Update Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus SPH L700 to AOKP Jelly Bean Build 3 custom ROM
There is a brand new AOKP Jelly Bean-based build that can be installed on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone. Use all the info I’ve listed in this post and you will learn how to successfully flash AOKP JB Build 3 ROM on your phone.
This build of AOKP that is based on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean is easy to install and you should be able to flash all files in no time. However, note that you shouldn’t attempt to install the ROM if you’re a beginner when it comes to using CWM Recovery and all these other developer applications.
AOKP JB Build 3 comes with new functions and features that should improve the overall performance of your Android phone. You will get SMS QuickReply, Expert Calculator functions that will allow you to use Matrices, Graph and other great tools. The IME Switcher & VIB/ Ring toggle was added as a NavRing target. Also, the Clock application now features Stopwatch and Countdown functions. Multiple other features and functions were added, while some bugs and errors that were present in previous releases, were fixed and your phone should be much faster while running this latest AOKP ROM.
AOKP team will launch a brand new update weekly only if everything is working as it should, which means that you might need to drop from time to time on our web site to find out the latest news regarding the release of new AOKP builds. In case you have any problems using this app, you should tell us in comments or head to RootzWiki forums and post in there any problems you might’ve found in this new ROM.
Before you can install this AOKP build 3 Jelly Bean custom ROM, you will first need to read the guidelines below and learn how to backup applications, SMS and what other things you should take into consideration so that every thing will complete according to plan.
Here’s what you need to know before moving to the ‘how-to’ guide:
- Note that this AOKP Jelly Bean build 3 release will work only with the Sprint Galaxy Nexus device that has the model number set to SPH-L700. You should find this info in the ‘About device’ menu, it can be accessed via Settings app. If your phone is the Sprint Gnex device then you can continue reading this post.
- Move all your important stored files on your phone’s internal SD card or, move them on your computer. This step will protect all your files from being deleted by the update.
- The Sprint Galaxy Nexus device you’re about to update should have root access and running a custom Recovery image. Also, this means that your device’s bootloader should be unlocked.
- Also, it is recommended for you to create a full NANDROID backup of the existing ROM, so that in case something goes wrong or in case you don’t like the new ROM, then you can easily restore your previous OS.
- You can backup applications, call logs, SMS and the APN Internet Settings by using the following tools for Android devices: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android.
- All your Phone Contacts should be synced with your Gmail. Here’s a guide that will help you complete this process.
- Note that your device should have the USB debugging option active. This can be enabled from the Android development menu.
- Remember to charge the Galaxy Nexus Sprint battery. This will prevent the device from powering off while you’re flashing AOKP build 3 ROM.
- Use this tutorial only if you are an advanced user as we cannot be blamed in case your phone is bricked during the update process. If you’re not sure that you know what you’re doing, then you should ask for more help by using the comments section at the end of this post.
- Read all the info listed in the how-to guide and after that you should start installing all new ROM files.
I think that these are all the instructions that you had to read and now you should move to the next part of this post, and learn how to update your phone without too much problems. Note that this process shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes, but this only if your device meets all the pre-requirements listed above. That’s all, move to the ‘how-to’ guide.
How to install AOKP JB build 3 custom ROM on Sprint Galaxy Nexus L700
- Download the AOKP JB build 3 zip file HERE. Don’t unzip its contents and simply, save it on your PC desktop.
- Download Gapps zip for Jelly Bean from HERE. Note that you should download only the file for Jelly Bean. Proceed and save it on your PC.
- Now you should connect your phone to your PC and move these files on your Galaxy Nexus Sprint internal sd card. When the transfer is complete you should disconnect the device from computer.
- Power OFF the phone and then boot it into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done if you press simultaneously ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons. Fastboot mode will load and then select ‘RECOVERY’ option and confirm.
- After the custom Recovery mode is successfully loaded, you can use the ‘backup and restore’ option and create a full backup of the existing ROM. If you don’t want to create one or in case you already made such backup before, then you should skip this step.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP JB build 3 zip and confirm its installation.
- When the custom ROM has been installed you should select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and install the Gapps for Jelly Bean zip.
- After the zip files have been successfully installed, you should return to the main recovery menu and choose ‘reboot system now’.
- Your Sprint Galaxy Nexus will now restart and it should perform its first boot with this new ROM. Note that this will take at least 5 minutes to complete and you shouldn’t interfere with this process.
- Your phone will now boot normally and the Jelly Bean AOKP customized home screen will be displayed.
- The only thing that you should do, is to enter your Google account details and take control over all Android OS functions.
NOTE: In case the first boot process doesn’t complete the loading or your phone gets into a boot loop, then you should power off the device completely. Boot again into CWM Recovery mode and then repeat the entire process starting with step 4. You should be able to flash the ROM at this second attempt. Make sure that you apply step 6. Alternatively you can choose to wipe cache and dalvik cache.
I hope that this update has been successfully installed on your phone. But, in case you cannot install it, then you should leave a detailed comment at the end of this post and I will try to help you. If you don’t like this new ROM, you should use the backup of the previous ROM and restore it back on your device and, every single file will be successfully restore. Use CWM Recovery or ROM Manager to complete the restore process.
If you do like the AOKP JB Build 3 custom ROM, then you should stick with it and return to our web site in the next couple of weeks as we will post all new AOKP Jelly Bean updates for Galaxy Nexus Sprint smartphone.