Update Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus to Custom Android 4.2 ROM
Sprint version of Samsung Galaxy Nexus can be updated with a custom ROM to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. All the info you need can be found in this post but, you should note that this is not an official update by Samsung.
Obviously, for this ROM to work your device should be running on an unlocked bootloader. More about this can be found in the preparation info which is listed before the tutorial.
This custom ROM of Android 4.2 is stock firmware and it has been modified by ‘iwasaperson’, an XDA forum member. It comes with all Android 4.2 features and functions which are including the PhotoSphere camera, Google Now enhanced, new keyboard, lockscreen widgets and multiple other features. Now that you know all this general info, you should move to the pre-requisites guide and learn what you need to do so that you’ll manage to update your device easily to Android 4.2 custom ROM. Here’s what you need to know:
- Flash this custom installation only on the Sprint variant of Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Do not attempt to flash the files listed here on any other Android device.
- Create a full NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM. This will come in handy if the new update doesn’t work or your phone cannot boot after installing the new Android 4.2 files.
- Your phone should be on an unlocked Bootloader, rooted and running the TWRP Recovery image.
- Backup your most important apps, SMS, APN INternet Settings and the Call Logs info using these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that some of these will require root access.
- Sync the Contacts with your Gmail profile.
- Enable USB Debugging option.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that the device will not switch off in the process.
- Please note that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and you lose data in the process of installing the Android 4.2 custom ROM. Read the entire post and only when you’re sure that you can complete it, you should move to the tutorial and begin the update.
These are all the general instructions that you had to read and now you should move to the next part of this post. If you’re having trouble completing this update, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to update Sprint Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM:
- Download the custom Jelly Bean 4.2 ROM from HERE. Save it on your PC.
- Download the Gapps zip for Jelly Bean and Sprint Galaxy Nexus from HERE. Place the file on your PC desktop.
- Connect your Gnex Sprint smartphone to computer using the USB cable.
- Move the files downloaded at the steps above on the device’s internal SDcard.
- Now power off your phone and then boot it into CWM or TWRP Recovery mode. It can be done easily by pressing these buttons simultaneously: Volume up, volume down and Power. That will enter Fastboot Mod and then you have to select ‘Recovery mode’.
- First thing that you need to select is the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this and note that it won’t wipe the contents of the internal SD card.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Custom Android 4.2 ROM and confirm that you want to install it.
- Repeat step 7 and install the Gapps zip. When both files are installed you need to return to the main custom recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system’ option and wait until your Sprint Galaxy Nexus completes the boot into normal mode.
- These were all the steps you had to take. Now you simply need to enter your Google account details and take control over your device.
If you have any troubles using this ROM or you simply don’t like it, then you should use the backup ROM file and restore your Sprint Galaxy Nexus to its working state. Also, you can use the comments section and post more questions about this update and ask for extra help in case you have problems installing the files listed above.
Remember that this is not an official Sprint OTA Update and it is only a custom ROM. Also, remember that this will keep your phone rooted. The custom ROM has been bundled by Team SyEnce and it is based on AOSP Android 4.2. Jelly Bean.