The CM10 official nightlies are here and now you can install it on your Sprint variant of your Galaxy Nexus smartphone. In this article you will find the preparation and tutorial guides that will teach you how to successfully update your GNex device to CyanogenMod 10 Nightly based on Jelly Bean 4.1. Use these instructions only if you’re an advanced Android user and you wish to test the latest CM10 release for your phone.
Everything has been working well with this update and there weren’t many bugs reported and you should tell us in comments if you found some major bug that could make the CM10 Nightly unusable. if you want to correctly install this update, your device should be unlocked and rooted and CWM recovery or TWRP recovery image should be installed on it. More about the pre-requisites you will find in the preparation guide.
This tutorial should be easy to complete and you should read the entire post before starting to update the phone. At the moment, this release of CM10 Nightly Jelly Bean custom ROM is in its early days and as time goes by, there will be more stable and better builds of it. Every day there are new Nightly builds being released and you can update your device easily from the CM10 settings menu where you can check for new releases.
Now that you know all this general info, it means that you’re ready to move to the preparation guide and learn what you need to take into consideration so that you’ll manage to update your Galaxy Nexus Sprint from your first attempt. Here’s what you need know:
- install this CM10 Nightly ROM only on the Sprint Galaxy Nexus smartphone and do not even think about applying the files in this post on other SG Nexus devices.
- Your phone should be on an unlocked bootloader. Also, it has to be already rooted and the CWM recovery or TWRP Recovery image has to be installed on it.
- Create a full backup of your device before you install this new CM10 Nightly ROM. The backup files can be used in case you don’t like how this new custom ROM works on your device.
- To backup only applications, SMS, APN Internet Settings or Call Logs please use the following tools for Android: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. These apps need to be used with rooted devices.
- Move important data files on your PC by using the USB data connection cable. You can restore them back on your device in case the installation process deletes some of them.
- To save the contacts stored on your device, you should sync the Phone Contacts / People app with your Gmail account. Here’s a guide to help you with that.
- Enable the option known as USB Android debugging.
- Also, your phone’s battery levels should be over 70% and this will prevent the device from powering OFF during the update process.
- We won’t be blamed if your device gets bricked or damaged after the installation and you should know that you are the only one who can be blamed in case something wrong happens and you can’t use your smartphone anymore.
- Make sure that you read the entire tutorial and that you know what you’re doing before moving to the first step of this guide. If you stumble across any problems then you should ask for our help in comments.
Since you’ve read all of the guidelines listed above, I think that you should continue reading the rest of this post’s info and you will manage to correctly install this update without risking too much. Also, remember that if you hit any roadblocks then you should post in comments and detail the actions you took and got you in that situation.
How to update Sprint Galaxy Nexus to Official CM10 Nightly Jelly Bean 4.1.1 custom ROM
- Download the ROM CM10 Nightly zip file from HERE. Save it on your PC and do not extract its contents.
- Download the Google Apps zip for Jelly Bean from HERE. Make sure that you download the file destined to be used with Jelly Bean ROM.
- This is the file that you will have to flash after the ROM and that will install the Gmail, Google Now and all other Google based applications that are vital for your phone. Also, save the file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Connect your Sprint GNex to your PC via USB cable and move the files downloaded above on its internal SDcard.
- After you successfully move both files you should disconnect the phone from your PC and then power OFF the device.
- Now you need to boot the Galaxy Nexus Sprint in ClockworkMod Recovery. Do it by pressing and holding simultaneously ‘Power’ + ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ buttons. This will load Fastboot menu and you should select the ‘Recovery’ mode option. Confirm by pressing Power and wait for CWM Recovery mode to load.
- When you’re at the main custom recovery menu you should first select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm the process and move to the next step when it’s done.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ or ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’. The selection depends on where you’ve placed the ROM zip file.
- Find the CM10 Nightly zip file and confirm its installation.
- After the ROM is installed you will have to again select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’ and this time you need to install the GApps zip file.
- When both the CM10 Nightly ROM and the GApps files are installed you can return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and then wait until Cm10 Nightly first boot process completes. This shouldn’t take more than 7 minutes. After the files were loaded you will be taken to the CM10 and Jelly Bean home screen.
- Enter your Google Account details and then you will be able to use all the features and functions of Jelly Bean CM10 Nightly-based ROM.
If you wish to download other CM10 Nightly updates, then you should visit this page here and download the latest builds released. You can install them in the same way as you with this first build of CM10 but without the need of applying the step 6, which is wiping data. If you can’t do it, then please ask for our help in comments.
Note that in case the first boot process doesn’t load then you will have to power off the device and after that you have to repeat the entire process once again and, eventually, you should manage to install this new update.