The official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA Update is now live for all the SPRINT Models of the Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphones.
Sprint is rolling the Marshmallow update over-the-air and if there is anyone who is still waiting for the new firmware to arrive, then this tutorial is the one that will teach you how to successfully flash the update manually with Odin app.
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow is being released for all users, but not everyone is getting the update at the same time. This tutorial can be used to upgrade/ restore Galaxy S5 Sprint models to stock Android 6.0.1 OS.
Check the following guidelines before starting the installation process:
- use this tutorial only with the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 G900P models.
– check the model of your device under Settings> About Phone section.
– do not attempt to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download Samsung USB drivers from here.
– install the USB drivers on your PC.
– this will allow Odin app to detect the phone when you will connect them with the computer.
- for the installation of Android 6.0.1 OTA Update you need to use the Odin app.
– the ODIN tool requires the usb drivers to be installed on your computer, and for the USB Debugging option to be enabled from your phone’s Developer Options section.
– if Developer Options is hidden you can unhide it by going to Settings> About Phone and to tap seven times on the Build Number section.
– get back to Settings, Developer Options will show up and you can use it to enable USB Debugging.
- this new firmware update can be installed over rooted Android firmware, but you need to know that root access will not survive the update.
– any custom Recovery that you might have installed is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery.
- you can flash the new official Update with ODIN over custom ROMs, too, but you will have to Factory Reset the smartphone in the process.
– the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of this post.
– you need to Factory Reset the phone only in case your device runs a custom ROM.
– Factory Resetting the device will wipe clean the system partition, it removes the old custom ROM and it forces your device to boot in normal mode.
– Factory Resetting the phone will not delete any data from internal storage of your device.
- this tutorial needs to be used only by advanced users.
– we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- in case your smartphone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can continue straight to the next part of this post.
- check the battery charge level of your device, make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the phone powers off in the process.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue the interesting part of this post.
How to Update Sprint Galaxy S5 G900P to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow:
- Download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow from here.
- When the download is done you can unzip the contents and save the files on your PC.
– you will get the G900PVPS3CPK1 tar.md5 update file that can be flashed with the Odin app.
- Download Odin 3.10. 7 from here.
– after the download is done you can unzip the contents from this file.
– save the files on your computer.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot your Galaxy S5 Sprint in Download Mode.
- Open the Odin tool on your PC.
- Connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
– wait for ODIN to add the device.
– in case your smartphone is not detected by the PC you have to reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- Get to Odin’s main window, click AP
- Find and load the G900PVPS3CPK1 tar.md5 firmware update file in ODIN.
- Press START and wait for Odin to complete the whole tutorial automatically.
After the new update process is done you can see the PASS message displayed by ODIN.
- Reboot your phone, unplug the device from computer and then use your default login data in order to regain complete control over your device once again.
These were all steps that you had to follow in order to complete the Android 6.0.1 MM update using ODIN for the Galaxy S5 Sprint G900P phones.
If the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN app, then you have to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. Make sure that in case you have to repeat the tutorial, then you won’t be skipping any steps and that your device meets all requirements.
If the PASS alert is displayed by ODIN, but the Galaxy S5 Sprint phone enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you will be forced to Factory Reset the device.
The Factory Reset process wipes clean the system partition and it should be applied by those that have installed the Android 6.0.1 update over a custom ROM, too.
Here’s how to Factory Reset the device:
- power off the phone.
- boot your Sprint Galaxy S5 in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data / factory reset’ process.
- reboot device in normal mode.
If you need any extra help you can tell us in comments.