Update T-Mobile Galaxy S2 to ICS Jedi Mind Trick v6 Custom ROM Firmware
Those who own a T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 handset can now power up their phone system as we manage to leak a new custom ROM firmware, which can be flashed by completing the following step by step guide. The Jedi Mind Trick v6 is an Ice Cream Sandwich based software and it’s coming with several improvements and features (Jelly Bean ones too) that will perfectly suit your T-Mobile SGS2. But, before you head to the proper steps, you must first read the next few lines, from where you will be able to learn how to prepare your smartphone for the installation procedure.
It’s important to know that this firmware isn’t released by Samsung, so it’s not an official platform available for your phone. I know that there are few ROMs launched for the T-Mobile S2, as for now there is no Jelly Bean firmware leaked for the same. That’s why you should get and flash the ICS Jedi Mind Trick v6, which will easily power up the performances of your smartphone. For others updates suitable for your SGH-T989 you can anytime search through our how to section from where you can choose the perfect software for your device.
As this is not an official update, for being able to flash it on your phone, you must first root the current OS. Without unchaining the system you cannot flash the ICS Jedi Mind Trick v6 as the bootloader is locked. Now, as soon as you gain root access, you will notice that the warranty will be void. Therefore, be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up because if you brick the S2, then you will be by yourselves. It’s important to know that the warranty can be easily restored, by downgrading to the stock ROM or by updating to the official version of the Android platform, released by Samsung and suitable for your T-Mobile Galaxy S2. Of course, then the root access will be revoked and the factory restrictions reinstalled.
After rooting, you should also install a custom recovery image on your smartphone. We will use this tool for making a backup (a full wipe of the system will be required meaning that all of your data will be erased) and for flashing the update file from the SD card to the internal system. Furthermore, the bootloader of your S2 should be unlocked, so don’t hesitate and look for suitable how to guides here, through Android.gs. Now, regarding to the backup procedure, as you might know, there are several ways in which you can complete such operation. You can use a computer or an SD card, the Android cloud, or backup apps from the Google Play store. If you don’t know how to manage this situation, I recommend you to look for backup guides through our how to section and use the tutorials from there.
Now, after you are sure that your data is in safe hands, you can look forward in preparing your handset for the installation procedure which is being explained during the below steps. The pre requisites are essential for you as without completing them you can easily brick your device. Taking care of the same will take only a couple of minutes of your time so don’t skip this part.
- Make sure you have a Windows running computer with Internet connection enabled; also you must have access to your phone and to its USB cord.
- If there are any security programs running on your PC or handset, deactivate them.
- Go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option.
- Ensure that there is at least 70% battery life left on your phone; if else, charge it first.
- Download the update file from here and the handset’s drivers from here.
- Then, download the next Add On files and save all the files on your computer.
- SSuggest.apk zip (flash in recovery)
- QuickpanelSettings.apk zip (flash in recovery)
Well, that was all for now. Go and start the steps as you are ready to apply the update. Make sure that you are following this tutorial only for the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 and not for similar devices as you can brick your beloved smartphone. Pay attention and don’t perform things by yourselves.
How to Update T-Mobile Galaxy S2 to ICS Jedi Mind Trick v6 Custom ROM Firmware
- Once you download the above mentioned files, connect the phone with the computer by using its USB cord.
- Next, copy-paste the same from the PC to your handset SD card.
- Then, disconnect the USB cord and remove it from your device.
- Turn the S2 off.
- Reboot it in recovery mode by pressing on Volume Up button and on the Home key button while powering on.
- Once in recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, return to the recovery menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Up next, choose “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Now, pick the update file first, install it and then do the same for the add on files.
- Wait until the installation process ends and don’t press anything.
- When it’s done, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 is now powered by the ICS Jedi Mind Trick v6 Custom ROM Firmware and has been updated with numerous features and capabilities. Test the new ROM, see how it performs and if there are bugs or any other issues (with the software or with the above procedure) share the same with us and with other users. Do tell us how things worked for you and stay close for further updates, hopefully Jelly Bean ones.