Update T-Mobile Galaxy S3 with Carbon JB EXP Custom ROM Firmware
If you want something new for your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3, or if you feel like changing the looks of your handset, then you can try the new Carbon JB EXP Custom ROM Firmware, which had just been made available by those of xda-developers. The software is based on stock Jelly Bean OS, but comes with new features, apps and capabilities along with a custom user interface, so your Galaxy S3 will be personalized with a new version of the Android system (a custom one of course). If I have aroused your curiosity, then check the following lines and learn how to update your T-Mobile Galaxy S3 with Carbon JB EXP firmware.
In order to make everything clear for everyone that reads this step by step guide, we are not talking about an official update for the T-Mobile SGS3; the CarbonROM is an unofficial firmware developed by third party devs therefore if you choose to complete this tutorial, you will be updating your smartphone with an unofficial version of the Jelly Bean OS. That’s why you need to check all the lines from below; this is a complex and risky operation and if you somehow manage to mess things up, then you can even end up in bricking your handset.
Carbon JB EXP comes with extra features (that cannot be found in the default version of the Android Jelly Bean system) and capabilities that will power up the performances of your Galaxy S3. Furthermore, the ROM is stable, without bugs or issues, so the firmware will smoothly run on your phone. By flashing the Carbon ROM on your S3, you will be able to customize and optimize the performances and the looks, improve the battery life, access the internal system and gain more speed. Anyway, the advantages can be tested only after completing this step by step guide.
If you have decided to apply this guide, then you will have to complete all the lines mentioned on the same. And the first to start with is the list from below. By checking the next list you can learn how to prepare your phone for the flashing operation and you can also check other relevant aspects related to a custom ROM. Take note as without performing the pre requisites you won’t be able to succeed with installing the Carbon JB EXP custom software on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3.
- Start by rooting your Galaxy S3 because if your device has a locked system then a custom ROM can’t be installed (the firmware needs to access some internal files).
- So, unchain the OS; be aware while doing this because the root operation is an unofficial one. Because of that, by gaining root access the warranty of your device will get void.
- As a tip related to the warranty, if you will need it back, then you will have to downgrade your handset to stock ROM, or update the phone to an official software, or to apply an un-root procedure. By applying these operations you will revoke the root access and re-install the factory restrictions on your SGS3.
- After rooting the OS, you also have to replace the stock recovery image with a custom one. You can flash any custom recovery image, though it is recommended to install CWM recovery – it is the most used custom recovery for Android by worldwide users.
- Take note that without the custom recovery, you will not be able to update your Galaxy S3 with the Carbon JB EXP custom ROM.
- After, or even before, completing the above steps it is recommended and important to backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your phone. When updating with a custom firmware a wipe is being required therefore don’t go any further without backing up your personal info and data.
- Do remember that beside the text messages, call logs, contacts list, market apps you also have to save the EFS folder and the current ROM- for saving / and then restoring the current ROM you will have to make a Nandroid backup which can be applied only by using the custom recovery image.
- Up next, you need to ensure that a computer or notebook is near you; you will have to save the update firmware on the same. So, your phone and its USB cable will also be needed.
- You will have to connect your device with the computer thus the USB debugging option must be enabled on your S3.
- Then, for avoiding the unpleasant situations you will have to deactivate the security protection and programs that are running on both smartphone and notebook (if there are no security tools installed, skip this step).
- Furthermore, you have to check the battery status of your phone: if there is less than 60% power left, you need to charge your handset; else you can skip this step.
So, those were the essential and general pre requisites. Now, your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 is prepared for the flashing procedure. But before starting the next and also final section of this step by step guide, remember that the tutorial is compatible only on the mentioned phone; installing the Carbon JB EXP custom ROM firmware on a different or similar handset will probably brick your Android based device.
How to Update T-Mobile Galaxy S3 with Carbon JB EXP Custom ROM Firmware
- As I have already specified, first of all you need to download the firmware file on your computer or notebook.
- The proper download link is here so use the same.
- Then, you need to place the downloaded file (don’t unzip it) on your handset, so connect it with the computer via USB cable.
- Select the update file and copy-paste it (or drag and drop it) to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect your device from the computer; from now on you will only have to use your S3, so the notebook is no longer needed.
- Turn off your SGS3 as it has to be rebooted into recovery mode.
- For the recovery mode you have to press on the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time, for a few seconds.
- Now, by using the recovery mode menu we will update your T-Mobile S3.
- But first, a wipe is being required; so select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Then return to the main menu – “+++go back+++”.
- And select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- You can pick the Carbon JB EXP software file; flash the same on your smartphone.
- Don’t press anything while the installation procedure is still running (it will take a few minutes, so don’t panic).
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- In case your device will get stuck in a boot loop, you will have to reboot into recovery mode once more; from there this time select only “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; then reboot your handset as you are done.
Congratulations, you have successfully completed the present step by step guide. So that’s how you can easily and manually update your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 with a custom version of the Jelly Bean OS. The new Carbon JB EXP custom ROM is running on your smartphone now, so you should test the software in order to check if everything is working as expected. Anyway, in case you find bugs or things that aren’t working properly, don’t panic as the Carbon team will update you with a new version of the ROM soon. Do share your impressions and experience with us and with other users who might want to try this tutorial by using the comments are from below and we will assist you as soon as possible.