Update T-Mobile Galaxy S3 with Infamous Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Custom ROM
If last year it was hard to find a stable custom ROM for the T-Mobile version of the Samsung Galaxy S3, now suitable updates are being released almost daily. The latest firmware that comes to improve, customize and optimize the Galaxy S3 T999 is the Infamous S3 software which is being developed and provided by the xda-developers member Jamison904. Also and as usual, I will try to teach you how to easily apply the update on your device, the below step by step guide being all that you need to read and follow.
But first we should detail a little bit the firmware or else you will not know if it is what you need for your SGS3. The Infamous platform is a custom ROM and not an official OS released by Samsung for your T-Mobile Galaxy S3. Therefore, by installing the present software the warranty of your device will be void (we will see why a little bit later). Also, considering the same aspect, you cannot OTA or by using KIES apply the firmware on your handset and a manual method is being required instead. The same is explained below, so don’t hesitate and use my directions.
Now, the Infamous S3 custom ROM is being based on the official Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean UVDLJA firmware and will bring stock features along with extra ones that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system. The software is deodexed, rooted, zipaligned, debloated, and comes with BusyBox and init.d support. Many other features and capabilities are being included, but if you want to learn more about this new Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean based OS improvement, or if you want to see some screenshots of the same running on the Galaxy S3 T999, you can anytime check our source page by using the link from here.
What interest us is the method that can be used for applying the stable and smooth Infamous Jelly bean 4.1.1 OS on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3. As already mentioned, by completing this tutorial the warranty of your device will be void. This is happening because you will have to root your device before going any further. The ROM will have to access the internal system of your smartphone and the root operation will provide this access. Also, this means that you previously have to backup the SGS3 data, or else you will risk in losing all of your personal info.
I recommend you to save the data (messages, call logs, internet settings, contacts, EFS and so on) and also to backup the current ROM (perform the so called Nandroid backup). You can easily learn how to do this by using our backup and restore step by step guides; use the search engine for the same. Now, as a final tip related to the warranty, even though it will get void, you can still restore it by downgrading to the stock Android 4.1.1 software, or by updating with an official OS suitable with your Samsung Galaxy S3 T999.
Now, before starting the update operation, you should prepare your phone for the installation procedure that will follow. For that you have the pre requisites, which are being listed below. Read all the lines from this tutorial or else you can end up in bricking your smartphone.
- Remember to backup and root your Galaxy S3.
- Then, install a custom recovery image (CWM recovery for example) on your phone; this app will be used on the update process so you can’t go any further without it.
- As this is a manual method, you will have to use a Windows running computer. The handset and its USB cord will also be used.
- For avoiding the unpleasant situations, uninstall the security tools and programs that are running on your computer and S3.
- Also, you should charge the battery of your device (or at least make sure that there is more than 50% power left) before applying the Infamous Jelly Bean 4.1.1 custom ROM; else the phone might get turned off (in the middle of the flashing process) and bricked.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your handset or else you will not be able to properly connect it with the computer.
- Remember that this step by step guide is being suitable only with the T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number T999, so don’t apply the same for updating a similar device with the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Infamous S3 software.
How to Update T-Mobile Galaxy S3 with Infamous Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file on your computer.
- The download link is here so use the same.
- Then, use the USB cable and connect the handset with the computer.
- And copy-paste or drag and drop the downloaded file from the PC to the phone’s SD card.
- Then, turn off the device (you can unplug the USB cable as we no longer have to use the computer).
- Reboot by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Power, and Home buttons.
- The recovery mode will be displayed.
- By using the same select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- The return to the main menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- From there this time select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Take the update file and flash the same on your Galaxy S3.
- When the updating procedure is over select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- You are done; take note that the first boot will take longer than usual, so don’t panic.
Now the Samsung Galaxy S3 T999 is running the Infamous S3 Android jelly Bean 4.1.1 custom ROM firmware. Test the OS and if you notice that there are bugs or things that aren’t working properly, share the same with us. Also tell us how things worked with the steps from above or if you had issues while trying to apply the update. Finally, if you don’t like the software you can anytime restore the stock one by rebooting into recovery mode once more.