The T-Mobile users of the Samsung Galaxy S3 can update their devices with a new version of the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS, as the carrier released the UVDMD5 OTA. The firmware can be received only if you are on stock Android software meaning that rooted smartphones won’t be able to receive the new OS improvement. Also, you should be patience, as the ROM will be delivered in phases so not all the Galaxy S3 users will receive the JB 4.1.2 UVDMD5 firmware at the same time. But, if you have a rooted handset, or if you want to downgrade / flash your S3 to stock Android OS, then use this guide which will easily take you through the manual update operation.
Here are the main aspects related to this step by step guide: by using the lines from below you will apply the official JB 4.1.2 OS, dubbed as UVDMD5, on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3; this operation is an official one, meaning that the warranty of your phone won’t get void; this guide will work on rooted and on locked handsets – the root access (if previously achieved) will be revoked after applying this tutorial though; you can manually flash the update even if your SGS3 is powered by a custom ROM as you will replace the same with the stock UVDMD5 JB 4.1.2 system; Odin will be used, so you don’t have to install a custom recovery image, or other complex and risky tools.
Well, now you know almost everything about this update operation. Anyhow, before heading into explaining on how to use Odin for installing the Jelly Bean ROM on your Galaxy S3, you will have to prepare your device. That’s why you need to take a look and complete the pre requisites from below.
- You need to use a Windows running computer. On the same you will install and run Odin; also on the computer you will download the update package.
- So, internet connection enabled on your computer is a must have.
- Then, you might want to deactivate the Firewall and antivirus protection as the security programs might interfere with the flashing operation.
- Next, on the computer it is important to have the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 drivers installed; else Odin will not recognize your device and you will not be able to install the Android 4.1.2 UVDMD5 software.
- If you don’t have the drivers, you can get them via Samsung KIES.
- Now, on your phone go and check the USB debugging option; you need to do this because you will have to connect your device with the computer; else you won’t be able to properly connect the devices.
- Also, it is important to charge your S3; the update operation will take a while and if your phone has less than 60% power left, it might get turned off in the middle on the flashing procedure – if that happens you will risk in bricking your device.
- Backup the data which is being saved on your smartphone’s internal storage memory. In some cases, rare ones, the data is getting corrupted meaning that you will not be able to use the same after applying the JB 4.1.2 update. So, make a full backup and save everything you might need afterwards (including EFS and internet settings).
Good job, you are half way there. So, this means that you can safely head to the next and final section of this tutorial. But first remember that this guide has been developed to work only for the Samsung Galaxy S3, the T-Mobile variant; also use the steps from below only if you want to manually apply the official JB 4.1.2 UVDMD5 firmware on your device.
How to Update T-Mobile Galaxy S3 to stock JB 4.1.2 UVDMD5 Firmware
- Go here and get the firmware file.
- Save the file on your computer.
- Extract the same on desktop.
- Then download and install Odin on your computer.
- In the end launch Odin.
- Turn off your device and reboot by pressing on power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time.
- Your S3 will be booted into download mode.
- Connect your handset with the computer via USB cable.
- On Odin now the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue; also the “added” message should be applied.
- If different, try to reinstall the drivers on your computer – of course first close Odin and unplug the USB cable – and then repeat the steps from above.
- If everything is working as expected, from Odin select “pda”.
- Pick the update file from desktop.
- Don’t make any other changes and don’t select the “re-partition” option.
- Click on “start”.
- You will know when the installation procedure is over as on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed.
- You can remove the USB cable and reboot your device.
- For any issue, go and read how to resolve the most common problems that might occur while you are trying to update your Android based handset.
So, that was all. Your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 has finally received the stock / official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean UVDMD5 Firmware. The software should be stable, fast and without bugs, but test the ROM and share your impressions with us. Also, stay close for further Android tips, tricks and step by step guides.