Update T-Mobile Galaxy S3 to Official Jelly Bean AOKP Custom ROM Firmware
We all know that the Samsung Galaxy S3 is already running the Jelly Bean OS, as there are several updates available (for the full list check our suitable SGS3 how to section) for one of the most popular smartphone nowadays, but which one is the best? Well, as usual, if you want to spice things up, you must get and install a custom ROM, which comes with features and capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android platform. But, as the beta updates are usually unstable with things that aren’t working, you might say that nothing suits your demands. Well, this is about to change, as the first build of the official AOKP custom ROM firmware has just been made available for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 devices.
Therefore, during the following guide, I will be showing you in how to install the Jelly Bean based AOKP software on your T-Mobile SGS3, so take a seat and read all carefully. Don’t skip any section of this tutorial as we will talk about important aspects such as the pre requisites, the backup which will be required and other preparation things; without completing the up mentioned tasks you will not be able to apply the update and you can brick your phone. Be aware that you are about to flash an unofficial Jelly Bean OS, so you are not dealing with a firmware provided by Samsung. The ROM has been developed by third party devs, so for applying the same you must follow this step by step guide.
This version of the AOKP software is being the first build, so there might be some issues or bugs in the system. So far, this is the most stable variant, though the AOKP team is already working in developing the next built of the update. Anyway, by flashing the ROM you will receive all the Jelly Bean features, along with a personalized interface which will be different than the classic Android one. In a few words, your phone’s capabilities will be improved and you will be able to abtain more power from your Galaxy S3.
But, first of all, you need to root the S3. A system that has the factory restrictions installed will not be able to receive the update. Unfortunately, when you root the OS, the phone warranty will be void. So, at this point it should be already lost. Don’t worry though as you can anytime regain the warranty be downgrading to the stock ROM or by updating with an official software released by Samsung and suitable for your T-Mobile Galaxy S3. Of course, the root access will be revoked and the factory restrictions reinstalled, but the warranty will once more be yours. After rooting you should also install a custom recovery image, a tool which will be used for the installation procedure.
Now, you have to deal with the pre requisites. These are the most important operations as here you can prepare your phone for the flashing procedure. So, don’t skip this section and try to follow my directions, don’t perform things by yourselves as you can brick your device. In the end you will be able to start the proper how to guide, so let’s get started.
- As already stated, you need to wipe the data first. That means you will lose all of your personal saves, from messages, contacts, call logs, market apps to internet settings. Therefore, take care of your data and make a backup. For this operation you can use our tips (by checking the links from above) or you can search for suitable apps through Google Ply, or just use a computer or a SD card for temporary saving the files from your handset.
- After this, you need to ensure that you can use a Windows running computer (internet access enabled), your SGS3 and its USB cord.
- The phone must have the USB debugging option enabled.
- Also, on both smartphone and PC deactivate or uninstall the security tools as these programs can interrupt our work.
- And finally check the battery status. If there is less than 60% power left, charge the battery first.
This tutorial should be completed and followed only by the T-Mobile users of the Samsung Galaxy S3 handsets and not by any other US users of the same device as they can brick their beloved smartphones. Again, remember to previously root and install a custom recovery image on your phone or else you will not be able to flash the official AOKP custom ROM firmware.
How to Update T-Mobile Galaxy S3 to Official Jelly Bean AOKP Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file from here and the Google Apps from here.
- Save the files on your computer.
- Then, you must copy them to the phone’s SD card.
- For doing this first connect the handset with the PC by using the USB cord.
- Once you place the files on your smartphone, remove the cable and disconnect the S3 from the computer.
- Turn off the device and then reboot in recovery mode.
- You can do it by pressing and holding the Volume Up and Home buttons while powering on.
- Once in recovery, select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” for preparing the phone for the installation procedure.
- Return back to recovery by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Up next, select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file first, install it and then do the same for the Google Apps package.
- Don’t press anything else; just wait until the process ends.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was the whole thing. Now your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 is running the Jelly Bean based AOKP custom ROM firmware. Remember that this is the official (and first build) release of the ROM and there might be some bugs in the system, so test the OS and see how it performs. Do tell us how things worked for you and what you thing about this firmware by using the comments area from below.