The Galaxy S4 is the most powerful handset available on the market and even though the latest version of Android OS is running on the same, there are powerful custom ROMs that can be used by those who are looking into customizing and optimizing their devices. Such firmware is AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly, which can be anytime flashed on the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4. The software is based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS and comes with important extra (that cannot be found in the default version of the Android platform) features and apps that will smoothly run on your SGS4.
This is the nightly release of the AOKP platform, meaning that the ROM is stable and without bugs or things that aren’t working. Also, the system is coming with Jelly Bean 4.2.2 on top of all, so you will get the latest features, apps and capabilities on your Galaxy S4. Anyway, the default Android OS will be replaced by the custom AOKP, so don’t expect to receive the same stock firmware as the software is coming with its own features and looks. Basically, the AOKP OS is a free aftermarket distribution of the Android system therefore you are dealing with an unofficial update that can be installed only manually and by using complex methods.
Before explaining how to update your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 with the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based AOKP custom ROM, you need to know that this is a complex and risky operation. The warranty of your device will get void, so if something bad happens, or if your phone gets bricked, you will be by yourselves. So, try not to mess things up, stick to the lines from the present tutorial and everything should be fine.
- Root your S4 before starting to update its system because a custom ROM can be installed only on unlocked devices.
- That’s why you will void the warranty of your smartphone; anyhow, the warranty can be restored if you downgrade the phone to stock Android OS or if you un-root its system.
- After gaining root access, you have to install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, on your SGS4. The recovery tool will be used on the flashing process.
- A backup is recommended; when installing the AOKP JB 4.2.2 firmware on your Galaxy S4 a wipe will be required, meaning that you will lose your data and personal info. Therefore take your time and save everything you can; start with the contacts list, text messages, market apps, personal accounts, call logs and end with the EFS folder. Also, if you want to save / restore the current ROM, you can anytime learn how to make a Nandroid backup.
- Before heading to the update process, make sure you check our other guides that are suitable with your device, by checking our “update Galaxy S4” section.
- Now, for the present step by step guide a computer or notebook, your T-Mobile S4 and its USB cable will be required.
- On the computer and handset you should first deactivate the security protection; the security tools, like antivirus, are usually interfering with the flashing procedure.
- On your phone the USB debugging option must be enabled and you should also charge your smartphone before going any further (you don’t want to brick your phone – if it will get turned off in the middle of the update operation).
Those were the essential pre requisites that must be completed before heading to the next section of this guide. Without applying the pre requisites you will not be able to install the AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly Custom ROM on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4. Do remember that this tutorial is compatible only with the mentioned smartphone, so don’t perform the method if you own a similar device as you will risk in bricking the same.
How to Update T-Mobile Galaxy S4 with AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly Custom ROM Firmware
- First, on your computer download the AOKP firmware file (from here); don’t unzip it.
- Then, download the Google Apps package (the same is not included in the update file, so you have to flash Google apps separately).
- Connect your S4 with the computer by using the USB cable.
- Select the downloaded files and then drag and drop them from the PC to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the devices and turn off your smartphone.
- Reboot by pressing and holding the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time.
- The recovery mode will then be displayed.
- By using the recovery menu first of all wipe the system.
- For the wipe select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Next, return to the recovery menu by choosing “+++go back+++”.
- And select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Select the AOKP firmware file first and install the same.
- Then, return and repeat the same procedure for applying the Google Apps package on your device.
- When done, from recovery select “+++go back+++”, “reboot system now” and you can use your Galaxy S4 into AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS.
That was all, the tutorial has been successfully completed. Now you know how to install the AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly Custom ROM Firmware on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4. Your phone is now powered by a custom Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS, so test the same and share your impressions with us and with others who might want to use this guide. Also, stay close for further step by step guides and subscribe to our newsletter for receiving more Android related tips and tricks and for checking the latest new and rumors.