The CyanogenMod 10 has been ported for the myTouch 4G aka HTC Glacier and now you can use the instructions that I have listed in this article in order to correctly install all the files. You will get almost all CM10 and Jelly Bean features right on your device. Note that this release is a ported ROM and it shouldn’t be used as a daily OS.
This release of CM10 custom ROM is very early and it might pack some errors and bugs and you should only install it as a testing operating system. There are some features that aren’t working and that is why you should create a full backup of the currently installed ROM.
The Camera app works but you will need to download Videocam Illusion from Play Store to record video. The LED Lights aren’t working. Some CM10 functions and features might not work, but you can add weather on the lockscreen, go into recovery mode, power menu with reboot normally or into recovery options. If you find any other bugs or errors please feel free to post them in the comments section for other users to know what to expect from this Cm10 port for HTC Glacier.
In order to correctly install this new ROM you will first need to read the guidelines below, as you will find useful tips on how to backup important data and how to correctly configure your smartphone so that you’ll manage to flash the CM10 port ROM easily. Here’s what you need to know:
- This port of CM10 Jelly Bean works only with the T-Mobile variant of myTouch 4G aka HTC Glacier. Do not attempt to install it on any other Android smartphone or tablet, as it will simply not work and you might damage your device.
- The bootloader of the phone should be unlocked.
- The smartphone you’re about to update with this Jelly Bean based custom ROM should have root access and the CWM Recovery image installed. Without these requirements met you cannot flash the files.
- Backup your current ROM using CWM recovery or ROM Manager so that in case you don’t like the new ROM or you cannot install it, then you will be able to restore the working Android OS. If you don’t know how to do this, please ask for our help in comments.
- Move the important files on your PC and after the update is complete you can restore them to your phone.
- Backup the list of installed apps, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings with these Android tools: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Note that all these apps are working with rooted devices.
- To backup the stored phone numbers, you will need to use this guide here and learn how to sync them with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB debugging mode and after that make sure that its battery is fully charged. This will prevent the device from powering down in the middle of the CM10 ROM installation.
- This tutorial should be applied only by advanced Android users and not by beginners. You are installing the CM10 ROM at your own risk, as we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone.
- This is an experimental ROM and you shouldn’t use it as a daily OS as it might be packing bugs and errors. Use the comments section to post all the bugs you find while using it.
- Do not skip any steps that I have listed in the tutorial below. Read the tutorial first and only after that you should begin to flash the ROM, as this will help you understand better what steps are more important.
- For any extra questions please post them at the end of this article.
These are all the general instructions that you had to read and now you’re free to move to the next part of this article, which is to learn how to successfully flash CM10 port of Jelly Bean on your smartphone.
How to install CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1 custom ROM port on your T-Mobile myTouch 4G / HTC Glacier
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Save the file on your desktop without extracting its archived files.
- After the ROM download is complete you should download the Gapps for Jelly Bean package from HERE. Download only the Gapps file and not the one for CM9 / ICS. Do not extract its contents and make sure to save the file on the desktop.
- After the files are downloaded you should move them on your phone’s internal SDcard. So, connect the phone to your PC and transfer the files using the USB cable. After the transfer is complete you should unplug the phone from PC.
- Power off the HTC Glacier and boot into CWM Recovery mode. Enter ClockworkMod recovery by pressing ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ button at the same time. Keep them pressed until the HBOOT menu appears. Select ‘Recovery’ option and then press ‘Power’ to load it.
- When you’re at CWM Recovery mode you should select ‘backup and restore’ and then create a Nandroid backup. However, if you already have a full backup, then you shouldn’t apply this step and skip it instead.
- Next, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this process. After that you should select ‘mounts and storage’ and then ‘format system’ option. Confirm this action and when it is complete you should move to the next step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the CM10 port zip file and install it.
- After the ROM is installed you should repeat step 7 and install the ‘Gapps’ zip.
- Now you can return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system’ option. The smartphone will now reboot and it will perform its first boot process with this new ROM. This shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
- When the phone boots successfully you will be greeted by the CM10 Jelly Bean main screen and you should enter your Google account details.
- Take control over your phone and start testing all of its features. Make sure that in case you cannot complete the installation or if you have trouble using the custom ROM, then you should leave a detailed comment describing the problem and we will help you fix it.
I think that these are all the instructions that you had to read in order to successfully flash this new ROM on your smartphone.
In case the phone gets stuck in a boot loop or it cannot get past the boot logo, you should power off the device and then re-enter CWM recovery and repeat the entire tutorial and make sure that you apply the instructions listed at step 6, as this step is one of the most important when it comes to flashing a brand new custom ROM on Android phones.