The Codename Android is a custom ROM designed for HTC myTouch 4G smartphone and, it will bring the Jelly Bean 4.1 to your device if you decide to use the instructions that I have listed in this post. Read the entire post and make sure that you know what you’re doing before starting to install the custom ROM.
This is a custom ROM that is based on the stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware and not an official release by HTC. It still might pack some bugs such as the Front Camera not working, LED works only when charging, Wi-Fi Hotstop works exclusively with the ‘WiFi Tether app’ from Google Play Store by changing the device to ‘nexus one’ and enabling the ‘routing fix’ options from your phone’s settings app.
If your device is rooted and if it has CWM Recovery installed on it, then you can go ahead and install this new custom Jelly Bean ROM. It will bring Google Now, butter interface and all the other new Android 4.1 functions, services and features. There might still be some things that aren’t working and that’s why you should tell us in comments if you find any extra bugs. Now, if you want to install this custom ROM, you should read the preparation guide below and learn what things you need to take into consideration before upgrading the MyTouch 4G to Jelly Bean.
Here’s what you need to know before moving to the tutorial guide:
- Install this custom ROM exclusively on the T-Mobile myTouch 4G/HTC Glacier variant. Do not attempt to flash this firmware on any other smartphones or tablets as you will end up bricking them.
- Your device has to be rooted and running a custom recovery image i.e. ClockworkMod Recovery. If your device doesn’t meet these requirements then you shouldn’t attempt to install the ROM as you won’t be able to complete it.
- Create a full backup of your existing ROM so that in case you don’t like the Codename Android JB custom ROM then you will be able to easily restore your device to a working one.
- Move all the important data files on your PC using the USB data connection cable. This will protect the files against any possible data corruption.
- To backup the list of installed apps, APN Internet Settings, Call Logs and the SMS text messages you will need to use the following applications: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Note that all these apps are working only with rooted phones.
- Sync all your phone contacts with your Gmail account. This will save all the phone numbers that you have stored on your smartphone.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power OFF during the installation of this new ROM.
- Also, enable USB debugging option from the Settings menu.
- Note that this guide is destined to be applied by advanced Android users. If you don’t know exactly how to use CWM recovery and its functions, then it would be better to stay away from this custom ROM.
- Remember that we cannot be blamed in case you damage your smartphone during the process of installing the Codename Android Jelly Bean custom ROM. The ROM is still in its beta stages and it might be packing some bugs and errors.
- Use the comments section to post all your extra questions.
These are all the instructions that you had to take into consideration before moving to the tutorial guide. In case you cannot complete the installation of this ROM, you should tell us in comments where you got stuck and we will try to help you complete the update. Read the entire tutorial and only after that you should get to the first step and begin the install.
How to install Codename Android custom ROM based on Jelly Bean 4.1 for T-Mobile myTouch 4G / HTC Glacier
- Download the custom ROM zip file HERE. Save the file on your PC desktop and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Camera and Backlight fix zip file HERE. Do not unzip the files in the archive.
- Next, download the Gapps file for Jelly Bean from HERE. Make sure that you download the one that is destined to be installed on Jelly Bean ROMs. Save the file on the desktop and don’t extract its files.
- Now you need to connect your device to your computer. Move the files you downloaded at the steps above on your phone’s internal sdcard. After the transfer is complete you should disconnect the phone and then switch it off.
- Boot the HTC Glacier phone into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing and holding ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons at the same time. It will load the HBOOT mode and you need to select RECOVERY and then press the ‘power’ button to boot into custom recovery mode.
- When you’re in CWM Recovery mode you should use the ‘backup and restore’ option to create a full backup of the currently installed ROM. If you already have such backup then you should skip this step.
- Now select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and then confirm this process. When the data is deleted successfully you should move to the next step.
- Select ‘mounts and storage’ option now and then select ‘format system’ and confirm the action. After this process is complete you should return to the main CWM Recovery screen.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after that you should select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Codename Android port custom ROM zip, it is the one downloaded at step 1. When you find the file on your phone’s internal sdcard, select it for installation and then confirm the process.
- Repeat step 9 and install the ‘Codename Android SAGA BlindDUMB’ zip file. When this file is successfully installed you should repeat the actions and install the ‘Gapps’ file.
- When all the files, ROM, Camera fix and the Google Apps, are installed you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Select reboot system option and then wait for your phone to boot into normal Jelly Bean menu.
That should do it, now you have to enter your Google Account details and you are free to start testing your device and its new functions and features. Note that the battery life under Jelly Bean might not last as much as it did before with your previous ROM.
In case you don’t like this Codename Android Jelly Bean custom ROM, then you should use CWM Recovery and the ‘Backup and Restore’ option to restore the backup of the ROM you had previously installed on your T-Mobile myTouch 4G / HTC Glacier. I think that this is all that you need and in case you have any other questions, please use the comments section at the end of this and ask for extra help.