Update T-Mobile Nexus S I9020T and I9023/ I9020a to Official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean JRO03E Firmware ( Root Guide inside )
Google began to release the official Jelly Bean 4.1 update for the Nexus S device that are on T-Mobile with the model numbers I9020T and I9020a and the I9023. It won’t work with the Nexus S International variant and you shouldn’t even attempt to install it. Use the instructions I’ve listed in this post and you will learn how to successfully flash this official ROM.
This guide is for advanced Android users and it is an official release which you need to use only if your device didn’t receive the OTA notification. This guide teaches you how to manually update the Nexus S T-Mobile to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean official JRO03E firmware. The OTA update for this device was released but not all users have received it and that’s why I’ve created this post, so that you’ll learn that there is another way to update your T-Mobile Nexus S to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Before moving to the tutorial guide, you should read the instructions I’ve listed in the preparation guide and make sure that you correctly configure your device so that you’ll manage to flash the update from your first attempt.
The Google Now is the best new feature that comes with Jelly Bean and mainly this is why you should update your Nexus S. Also, there are many other new things and you should test them and tell us in comments if these work or use the comments field to post all the errors and bugs you found while using Google’s latest Android 4.1 update.
Since this is an official release, it means that all Jelly Bean services and features are fully functional. Make sure to read the guidelines below and learn what steps to take before installing this new official firmware. Here’s what you need to do:
- this guide works exclusively with the following T-Mobile Nexus S device model number: Super LCD I9020T/ I9020A and the I9023. Do not attempt to install this update on the International Nexus S model number I9020.
- It is an official Jelly Bean release and it will need an advanced Android user to work with the updating files and CWM Recovery. The ClockworkMod Recovery image needs to be installed on your device. Without it you won’t be able to flash the official update files.
- At the end of this post you will find a guide that teaches you how to root the device. Use it.
- Enable USB debugging option on your phone.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that it’s power level will be above 70% and that will prevent it from discharging during the update process.
- Backup all your important files. Move them on your device’s SD card as these won’t be changed nor deleted by the update. However, you will be forced to wipe out all data only if the T-Mobile Nexus S gets stuck at the boot screen after the JRO03E firmware Jelly Bean is installed.
- You will be able to update only if your device has its bootloader unlocked.
- This guide is for advanced users and you should know that you’re flashing the files at your own risk, as we cannot be held responsible in case you damage your device. Make sure that you first read the entire tutorial guide and only after that you begin to flash the update.
- If you wish to backup the applications and SMS, Call Logs and APN Settings then you should use the following tools: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- If you wish to save your Phone Contacts, then you should use the guide HERE and learn how to sync them with your Gmail account.
That’s all the extra info you needed to know and now you should move to the ‘how-to’ guide to learn how to successfully update your T-Mobile Nexus S. Move to the tutorial and make sure to use the comments section to ask for help if you cannot complete the update.
How to Update T-Mobile Nexus S I9020T and SuperLCD I9023/ I9020a to Official Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean JRO03 Firmware
- Download the Official JRO03E ROM zip files by clicking the download links below:
- Jelly Bean JRO03E ROM zip file for Nexus S I9023/ I9020T variant.
- Jelly Bean JRO03E ROM zip file for Nexus S I9020a.
- Next, connect your smartphone to your computer and move the ROM zip file on its internal sdcard. Do not extract its contents.
- Power off the device and disconnect it from your computer.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing simultaneously ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons and wait for the fastboot menu to appear. Select ‘RECOVERY’ line and confirm that you wish to load it. When you’re in clockworkmod recovery you can move to the next step.
- ‘Install zip from SDcard’ is the option that you need to select. After that, from the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and point recovery to the Jelly Bean ROM zip file. Confirm its installation.
- When the install of the official JRO03E firmware was complete you should return to the main recovery menu. Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the first boot process to load successfully. The first boot process should take at least 10 minutes to complete. In case it takes more than that, then you should read the NOTE listed after step 7 below.
- When all files were loaded and you see the normal Jelly Bean screen you should enter your Google account details and take control over all you phone’s features, functions and services.
NOTE: In case the Nexus S gets stuck at the boot screen or if gets into a boot loop then you should remove the phone batter, re-insert it back in its location and then reboot into CWM Recovery once again. After that, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and that should do the trick. Remember that this process will remove all apps and other files you had stored everywhere, except for the internal card, which will be left unchanged by the wipe data process. Restart the device now and it should boot correctly.
Now that you’ve updated your device to the latest Android release and you wish to learn how to flash the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 JRO03E firmware then you should use the info below:
- Download the ROOT zip file from HERE.
- Copy the root file on your device’s sdcard. Do not extract its contents.
- Reboot your device into CWM Recovery mode.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after that select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Find the ‘Simple Root’ zip file and confirm that you wish to install it.
- When the root is complete you should reboot the device into normal mode and that should be all.
These are all the steps you had to take. Make sure that in case you cannot complete the update or the root then you should use the comments section and ask for our help.