The T-Mobile version of Samsung Galaxy S2 can now be updated using a new custom ROM installation that goes by the name of Darkside Evolution. Use the instructions I’ve listed in this article and you will learn how to properly update its firmware without bricking it. For this guide to be applied successfully you will have to be an advanced Android user who knows how to use a custom recovery in order to flash new ROMs.
With the Darkside Evolution ICS you will get working data, wi-fi, wi-fi calling, bluetooth, wireless tethering, GPS, MMS, USB tether. This custom ROM is fast, clean, smooth and all stock Android plus multiple other custom features and functions are fully working. There isn’t any major bug reported which means that you should have any problems running it. However, it is recommended for you to create a full backup of the current installed ROM. Also, bloatware files and applications have been removed and a 5x4x5 TouchWiz modified UI launcher has been added.
Now, if your device is rooted and a custom Recovery image is installed then you will be able to move to the next part of this post and learn what applications you can use to backup your important applications, data files and apn settings. Also, some rooting guides for T-Mobile SGS2 T989 smartphone can be found here.
Here’s what you need to know before starting the ROM updating process:
- because this ROM will wipe your entire phone, it means that you will have to backup all the important files stored currently on your phone. These can be transferred on its internal / external sd card or, you can move them on your PC and after the update is complete you will be able to restore them back on your device using, all this process can be done using the USB cable.
- Darkside Evolution ICS custom ROM can be flashed only on rooted T-Mobile SGS2 T989 model number devices. Do not attempt to install it on any other phone.
- All your applications that are currently installed can be easily backed up using the AppBak program for Android phones.
- SMS text messages, APN Settings and Call Logs info can all be saved using these Android apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Backup & Restore.
- Contacts should be synced with your Gmail account so that you won’t lose any of the saved phone numbers. Here’s a guide that you can use to learn how to sync your Contacts.
- Enable the USB debugging mode and after that you should charge the phone’s battery until it says that the power levels are over 70%. This will prevent the T989 S2 device from switching off while we’re updating its firmware files.
- Full backup of your currently installed ROM can be done using ROM manager, ROM Toolbox Lite, Titanium Backup or any other similar app from Google Play Store.
Please note that you’re installing the Darkside Evolution ICS ROM at your own risk and in case in the process you damage your phone you are the only one responsible for this. As I said, this guide is for advanced users only. Make sure to read the entire tutorial guide and if you cannot complete one of the steps I’ve listed below, then you should let me know in comments.
How to update T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 to Android 4.0.3 ICS using Darkside Evolution custom ROM:
- Download the ROM zip package here. Don’t extract its files. Leave the way it was downloaded.
- Download the Darkside Radio tools from here. Do not unzip its contents.
- Move both files on your device’s internal sdcard. Now power off your device and disconnect it from your computer.
- Boot your T989 phone into custom boot recovery mode.
- When in recovery mode you first need to flash the Darkside Evolution ICS radio. So, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Find the radio zip file and confirm that you wish to install it. This will install the Tmo UVLE1 ICS modified radio on your T989 galaxy S2 phone.
- Next, flash the Darkside Evolution custom ROM zip just like you did with the ICS radio zip. Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’; find the ROM zip and confirm its installation. Now your device will install the new custom ROM and all of its data will be wiped.
- When the ROM has been installed successfully you will have to select ‘reboot system now’ and the device will now restart.
- Now wait for the first boot process to complete. Note that this process might take over ten minutes to complete and you have to wait for it to load all its cache and other services required in order to run correctly.
- When the first boot process is complete you will have to restart the T989 device again. After the second restart device is ready to be tested and you can restore all your favorite applications back to its app drawer.
If your phone gets stuck in first boot then you should repeat the entire tutorial guide once again as you might have forgot to apply one of the steps I’ve listed above. Make sure to ask for help in comments and we will come to your aid. Remember that this ‘how-to update T-Mobile Galaxy 2′ guide is for advanced users and the creators of Darkside Evolution ICS custom ROM cannot be held responsible if your phone gets damaged in the update process.