T-Mobile variant Samsung Galaxy S2 model has received the AOKP Milestone 2 build and you can use the info posted here in order to learn how to successfully update your smartphone. This is a tutorial that should be easily applied in under 5 minutes by an advanced Android user.
The AOKP Milestone 2 build ROM has been released several days ago. More info about it can be found at that link and now you should read the preparation guide below before continuing to the tutorial guide. Here is what you should know in order to correctly configure the T Mobile Galaxy S2 for the installation of AOKP Milestone 2 custom ROM:
- Use this post only with the T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Galaxy S2 with model number T989.
- Do not attempt to update any other smartphone with this post, as you will end up bricking it.
- Your TMO Galaxy S2 has to be factory unlocked, rooted and it needs to have a custom Recovery image installed on it.
- Both CWM and TWRP Recovery modes are supported by this tutorial. You will find instructions for both of them.
- Use the Custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current OS before starting the installation of AOKP Milestone 2 ROM.
- Enable USB debugging from Developer Options.
- Note that in the tutorial you will find a step that asks you to factory reset your device. This means that the system partition will be formatted, which will delete all installed apps data, SMS and other similar files.
- The contents of the internal and / or external SDcard won’t be affected by the ‘factory reset’.
- If you want to backup installed apps data, you should look for a working tool in Google Play Store.
- To backup SMS, Call Logs or APN Internet Settings, then you should use the following apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access has to be granted for some of these apps.
- Also, make sure to sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account using the info listed here. That guide will help you backup all the phone numbers and other similar data that you have currently stored on your device.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left in it before completely switching off. If the device powers off while you’re installing AOKP Milestone 2 ROM, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial again until you manage to flash all files successfully.
- Read this entire post and don’t skip any steps that I have listed.
- Note that this is a guide for advanced users, you cannot blame us in case lose important data files or you brick your smartphone in the process.
Continue to the next part of this post in order to learn how to flash the custom ROM zip for your smartphone. Make sure to use the comments field in case you cannot complete the tutorial.
How to install AOKP Milestone 2 based on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2:
- Download AOKP M2 ROM zip file from this link here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from here.
- Now connect your smartphone with your computer using the USB data cable.
- Move the AOKP M2 and Gapps zips on tour smartphone’s internal SDcard. After the files are transferred with success you should disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your TMO Galaxy S2.
- Boot the device into Custom Recovery Mode.
- When you’re at your main Recovery screen you will first need to create a Full Backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
> for CWM Recovery – select ‘backup and restore’ option. Confirm the process.
> for TWRP Recovery – press Backup and then select the system parts you wish to backup. Confirm by sliding the blue button.
- Next, you need to ‘factory reset’ your Galaxy S2 T989 for the new AOKP M2 ROM to be correctly installed:
> for CWM – select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> for TWRP – press Wipe, then Factory Reset’. Confirm this process.
- Now you can install the AOKP M2 ROM for your T Mobile Galaxy S2:
> for CWM – select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip moved in step 4 and then confirm that you wish to install it.
> for TWRP – press Install and now browse the phone’s contents. Find the AOKP M2 zip. Confirm that you want to install it by sliding the bottom blue button.
- When the ROM is successfully installed, you need to repeat step 9 in order to install the GApps file too. After this file is installed, return to the main Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device and wait several minutes for the AOKP Milestone 2 first boot process to load all its files.
- Enter your Google Account credentials when you reach the home screen of the new ROM and then take control over your smartphone.
- That’s it, you’ve managed to flash AOKP Milestone 2 for your Galaxy S2. Test all its apps and features.
AOKP Milestone 2 brings tons of new customization features and tweaks for your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2. Try to go over all of them before deciding which configuration is the best for your device. AOKP ROM should greatly improve your Android experience.
If the ROM didn’t install at the first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again until you manage to flash all the required files. In case you have any problems with the installation, you should ask for more help in comments. Also, make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to offer a viable solution for any problems you might have encountered in your quest to update your device with a custom ROM.
If you don’t like how the Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 works with AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2, then you can easily restore the NANDROID Backup file you created before installing the new files. Use the Restore function in custom Recovery Mode and your device will be reverted back to its previous default ROM.