The official build by Carbon AOSP custom ROM based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean is now available for the T-Mobile Galaxy S4 smartphone. Use this tutorial in order to successfully apply the new ROM files for your device without bricking it.
Carbon Android 4.3 Nightly custom ROM for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 packs the following main features: AOSP Android 4.3, PIE Controls, Halo, AOKP Ribbons, support for hiding lockscreen hints, editing lockscreen sliders and buttons, carousel lockscreen, Chronus clock app, support changing actions for software and hardware buttons, custom navbar ring, navbar arrow ring, notification power widget, LCD Density, Theme engine, Quiet hours, full rotation, customizable power scree, quick settings menu also can have its toggles customized. Also, Carbon AOSP allows you to change colors for low / full battery notification light as well as for all the other alerts such as incoming SMS and messages from all IM applications, for new updates and more.
If you want to learn more about this custom ROM, then you can read the Goo.im developer’s web page here. If you want to successfully update your device with this new Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 Nightly ROM at your first attempt, then you should first take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only for the T-Mobile variant of Samsung Galaxy S4.
- Don’t attempt to flash the files you find in this post on any other Galaxy S4 models, as you will end up bricking them.
- Your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 device has to be rooted and factory unlocked. Also, it needs a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP for you to be able to flash a custom ROM on your device.
- The tutorial will ask you to ‘factory reset’ the device so that the new ROM will boot successfully after installation.
- The Factory Reset will delete all contents from your device’s system partition, which means that all data such as installed apps, contacts, SMS and other similar files will be removed.
- Backup system data using Helium app or Titanium Backup. Note that these apps should be used by advanced users.
- Backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure to create a full NANDROID backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device. This will set a restore point and it can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot successfully in normal mode.
- Check the phone’s battery power levels and make sure that there is enough power left before it switches off. If the phone powers off in the middle of the updating process, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial.
- We can’t be held responsible in case you brick your phone or lose any important data during the installation.
- If you’re having problems completing the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Read this entire post and don’t skip any instructions that I’ve listed.
How to flash Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 custom ROM for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your device with the computer. Now copy both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
– after the files are copied, disconnect the TMO SGS4 from PC.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Boot the device in custom Recovery Mode.
– both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are working with this tutorial.
– if you don’t know how to boot the custom Recovery Mode, then you should take a look here.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM.
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’. Save the backup to your phone’s internal / external storage. Confirm the process.
– TWRP: press Backup, then select the system partition files you wish to save. Confirm.
- Next, apply Factory Reset:
– CWM: select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm the process.
- Now you can finally start the installation of Carbon Android 4.3 Nightly for your T-Mobile Galaxy S4:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the custom ROM zip files and confirm the installation.
– TWRP: press Install, then find the custom ROM zip file. Wait several minutes for the install process to complete successfully.
- After the ROM is flashed, repeat step 8 and use the same options to flash the Gapps zip.
- When both files are installed you need to return to the main custom Recovery Mode menu. Reboot your smartphone now and wait for it to load all the required files and apps for the new Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to follow and complete the installation of this new ROM. If you’re having trouble installing this custom ROM on your Galaxy S4 T-Mobile, then you should ask for help in comments.
If the first boot process of Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 Nightly ROM doesn’t complete after the installation, then it means that it wasn’t installed successfully. That is why you should power off the phone, then boot again in Recovery Mode and repeat the entire tutorial without skipping any steps listed above. Also, repeat the tutorial in case your device enters into a boot loop.
If you don’t like the new ROM features, then you can always restore your device to its previous ROM using the backup file created in step 6. If you decide to restore your device to its previous ROM, then you will need to use the same custom Recovery Mode that you used when you created the backup files.