Update T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant T959 using AOKP Jelly Bean build 3 ROM
The T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant is a variant of Galaxy S but with a different model number, T959, and now it has received a new AOKP Jelly Bean update. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to successfully flash this custom ROM without too much trouble.
The new update will come with several new functions that weren’t previously in the other versions. You will get SMS quick reply, support for setting a custom ringtone, expert calculator tools etc. This update can be easily applied if you read the preparation guide, also. Note that if you want to update your phone, you will also need to backup important data such as SMS, APN Internet Settings or a list of the installed apps. You can find more in the preparation guide.
Use the guidelines below and learn how to properly backup your important files so that you won’t lose anything in the flashing process. Here’s what you need to know:
- This build of AOKP JB ROM will work only with the T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant with model number T959. Do not attempt to flash this file on any other devices, as you might brick them.
- Install the custom ROM only on rooted device with CWM recovery installed on them.
- Also, you should create a NANDROID backup of the existing ROM. This will prove to be useful in case something goes wrong and you cannot use the new Android AOKP OS. A Nandroid backup can be created with CWM Recovery or ROM Manager.
- Save a list of installed applications, Call Logs info, SMS and the APN Internet Settings using the following applications: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that all these programs will work with rooted devices.
- If you want to backup the phone numbers, then you should use this guide here and sync Contacts with your Google account.
- Enable the USB Debugging option from your device’s Android development menu. Also, remember to charge the battery of your phone so that it won’t discharge in the middle of the installation of AOKP JB build 3 custom ROM.
- Apply this ROM only if you’re sure that you know what you’re doing. The entire process shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes.
- Read the entire guide and then begin to install the ROM. Note that we cannot be blamed in case the phone is bricked in the process.
- Be careful when applying the steps and make sure that you don’t skip any of them. In case you have trouble in completing the update, ask for help in comments.
How to install Official AOKP Jelly Bean build 3 ROM on T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant T959
- Download the custom ROM zip HERE. Save it on your PC and don’t extract its comprised files.
- Next, download the Gapps for Jelly Bean zip HERE. This is the file that you have to flash in order to get Google Play Store, Gmail, Gtalk and all other Google-based tools. Save it on PC and don’t unzip its contents.
- Connect your Samsung Vibrant to your computer via USB and then move both files on the phone’s internal SD card. Disconnect it from PC when the transfer is complete.
- Power off your smartphone and then boot into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing at the same time the following buttons: volume up, volume down and power. After the screen powers on you can release the buttons.
- When you’re seeing the main CWM Recovery menu you should select ‘backup and restore’ option and create a full ROM backup. In case you already made one, skip this step, otherwise you need to wait for the backup to complete and then continue to the next step.
- Now select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next options screen select ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’. Browse for the AOKP JB build 3 zip and install it.
- After the custom ROM is installed you need to install the Gapps file also. Do it like you did with the AOKP JB zip.
- When both the AOKP rom and the Gapps files are flashed you can return to the main recovery screen.
- Choose ‘reboot system now’ and wait for your smartphone to complete the first boot process with this new ROM.
- When the boot is complete you will be taken to the welcoming screen of AOKP Jelly Bean and you should enter your Google account details and take control over your device.
- That’s it, you’ve managed to successfully flash the new ROM.
NOTE: In case your device gets into a boot loop or in case it cannot go past the boot animation screen, then you should power it OFF and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. Eventually you should be able to apply the update.
I hope that you’ve managed to install AOKP JB on your phone. If you hit any roadblocks in the process, use the comments section and leave a detailed post so that we can help you.