Yesterday, the official CM10.1 Nigthlies was released for a number of devices, including the Galaxy S2 SkyRocket. You can use this article and learn how to successfully flash the the new ROM on your device. Make sure to read the entire post before starting the updating process.
This is the first CM10.1 Nightly build that has been made available for the SkyRocket phone. It brings all the Android 4.2.1 ROM along with all CyanogenMod 10.1 functions and services. There are tons of customization tools and features that you can use after installing this ROM, as it will help you configure your smartphone just the way you want to.
Since this is a Nighlty CM10.1 build, you will find some errors and bugs while using it. It has been confirmed that the ‘wifi tethering and 1080 camcorder aren’t working at their full capacity’ and you will experience some problems with them. Also, it seems like the entire SkyRocket device encryption isn’t supported for now, the SIM contacts cannot be accessed, MTP mode doesn’t work for Linux and Mac systems etc. That is why you should only use this tutorial if you’re a power-user and you want to test it.
Now that you know all of the above, move to the preparation guide below and learn how to successfully prepare your device for the updating process. Here’s what you need to know:
- This is a guide that will work only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket device. Do not attempt to install it on any other device as you will damage it.
- The device should be rooted and running a custom Recovery installed on it. Without these you cannot flash the new CM10.1 Nightlies ROM.
- Create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will act as cover in case your device is unable to boot after the new OS is installed. Also, you can use the backup to restore your device after you finish testing the CM10.1 nightlies and you don’t want to continue using it.
- Move all your important files on to your phone’s internal SDcard. The other /system partition will be completely wiped in the process. NOTE: In case you already have a CM10.1 ROM running on your device, then you can flash this new OS over it without factory resetting the device.
- If you want to backup SMS, Call Logs, APN internet settings use the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. You will be asked for root access by some of these apps.
- Make sure to sync the Contacts app with your Gmail. It will backup all the phone numbers and contact data that is currently stored on your device.
- Enable USB debugging option from your phone’s Developer Options.
- Your phone’s battery charge level should be over 50%. This will prevent the device from powering off while you are installing the new ROM.
- We can’t be held responsible in case you brick the Galaxy S2 SkyRocket or you lose any data while install the new custom ROM.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over. Now you can get to the next part of this article.
How to install CM10.1 Nightlies official build for Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket:
- Download the CM10.1 ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t unzip.
- Download Gapps for CM10.1 from HERE. You will have to flash this file in order to get the Google apps installed on your device. Don’t extract the contents of the zip.
- Connect your phone to computer using the USB cable. Copy both files to its internal SD card. Disconnect the phone when complete.
- Power off the smartphone now.
- Boot your device into CWM recovery mode. Press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power button. Release the buttons when the custom recovery menu appears.
- OPTIONAL: Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM by selecting ‘backup and restore’ option. If you already have a backup or you don’t want to create one, then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm. NOTE: If your device is already running on a CM10.1 ROM, then you can skip this step and continue with the rest of this post’s instructions.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’. Next, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 Nightly zip for SkyRocket and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the ROM installed, select the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option once again. Find the Gapps zip and install it.
- After both zip files have been installed you can return to the main Recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait until your SkyRocket device completes the first boot process with the new ROM. This shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details when asked and then take control over your device.
- Test the ROM and tell us in comments which are its best features.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to flash the CyanogenMod 10.1 official nightlies for the Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket.
NOTE: if the first boot process takes too long to complete or it gets into a boot loop, then you will have to power off the device completely. After that you need to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 5. This time you have to make sure that you apply the ‘factory reset’ action in step 7. Eventually the CM 10.1 ROM will install, as such custom OS releases are usually not being installed at the first attempt.
In case you don’t like this new OS, then you can use backup of the previous ROM and restore your device to its former state.
Also, if you want to keep updating your SkyRocket device with CM 10.1 Nightlies, open Settings > About device and then check the ‘CyanogenMod Updates’ info. Download the latest Nightly build and update the phone without the need of entering the CWM recovery mode. Note that these updates are usually launched on a daily basis.