Update the Google Nexus 4 to Android 4.2.2 AOKP Jelly Bean MR1 build 4 custom ROM
AOKP JB-MR1 reached its build 4 and now it can be installed for the Google Nexus 4 smartphones by using the instructions that I’ve listed in the post below. Make sure to read the entire tutorial as that will help you flash this custom ROM at your first attempt in under 5 minutes.
This is a custom ROM create by Android Open Kang Project and it is based on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOSP operating system. It features all the stock components of the stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and all the AOKP ones. More about this custom ROM can be found here. If you want to successfully flash this custom ROM on your Nexus 4 device, then you should follow the guidelines below.
Here’s what you should know before getting to the tutorial guide. Make sure to read all the lines below as otherwise you might not be able to flash the AOKP JB MR1 build4 for your Nexus 4:
- This guide will work only with the Google / LG Nexus 4. Do not try to flash this custom ROM with any other device as that will result in a failed attempt and you might brick the phone.
- Your device should be on an unlocked bootloader, rooted and running a TWRP or CWM Recovery. We’re using the TWRP recovery for this guide, but the CWM Recovery instructions are very similar with the TWRP ones and you can easily guess what options to select in order to flash the ROM.
- Use the Custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of the currently installed OS. This will set a restore point for your device and you will be able to use it in case the phone doesn’t boot after the installation of the new ROM.
- The ‘how-to’ guide contains a step that tells users to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ their devices, which is why you should backup the files on the /system partition, such as the SMS, Call Logs, APN Internet Settings. Use the following tools to backup such data before getting to the updating process: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. NOTE: if your phone is already running on an AOKP JB MR1 ROM, then you can skip the ‘Factory reset’ step and install the new ROM over its previous version.
- Make sure to sync the Gmail account with your Contacts / People data. This will backup all the phone numbers and the other details you’ve set for your saved Contacts.
- Enable USB debugging option for your device. Note that the Developer Options might be hidden after you install this new custom ROM and you can re-enable by going through ‘Settings> About Phone’ and then tapping 7 times on the ‘Build Number’ section.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that its power levels will show at least 50% power left. It will prevent the device from powering off while you’re installing a new ROM.
- This is a tutorial for advanced Android users and you can complete it easily if you carefully read all the steps that I’ve listed below.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case you lose any data in the process. Also, we can’t be blamed in case you brick your phone.
- Don’t skip any steps that I have listed and you should be able to flash the new ROM in under 5 minutes successfully.
Now that you know all that, get to the next part of this post and you’ll learn what steps you have to take in order to upgrade your phone to the latest version of AOKP Jelly Bean ROM.
How to update Nexus 4 to AOKP JB MR1 build 4 ROM based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean:
- Download the custom ROM from HERE or HERE. Save the file to your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download Gapps for CM 10.1 from HERE. This file is required in order to install all the Google-based apps on your device after you flash the new ROM. Note that you should get the version of Gapps for CM 10.1 as it will work with this latest AOKP JB ROM.
- Connect the Nexus 4 to computer and then move both files on to its internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied successfully.
- Power off the phone now.
- Boot it into Fastboot / Bootloader mode by pressing Volume UP, Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time. Release them only when the screen displays the Bootloader Options menu.
- Press Volume Up twice to select ‘Recovery’ option and press Power to boot your phone into TWRP Recovery mode.
- Use the ‘backup’ option if you want to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. It will set a restore point for your phone.
- Select ‘Wipe’ option and then ‘Factory reset’ option. Confirm this step and then you can install the new ROM. NOTE: In case your device is already running an AOKP JB MR1 ROM then you can skip this step and continue to the next one.
- Return to the main menu of the Custom Recovery mode and select ‘Install’ option. Find the AOKP JB MR1 Build 4 zip and confirm its installation.
- When you’re done installing the ROM, select again ‘Install’ and then browse for the Gapps file. Confirm its installation and then return to the main menu of the Recovery mode.
- Select ‘Reboot’, then ‘System’ and wait until the first boot process of this new ROM completes successfully.
- Enter your Google Account details and then take control over your device once again.
- Test this new ROM and tell us in comments which are its best new features.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes too long to complete or the Nexus 4 enters a boot loop, then you should power off the device completely by pressing POWER button for 10 seconds. After that you should boot again into Custom Recovery mode and then you need to repeat the entire tutorial once again. This time you should make sure that you will apply all the steps, including the step 8, as that might the cause for the failed updating attempt.
These were all the steps that I had for you. The only that you can do is to test the ROM and decide whether you want to keep it installed or not.
In case you don’t like how this new ROM runs on your device, then you should use the Recovery mode and restore the backup of your previous ROM. If you have any other questions, then please feel free to post in our comments section and we will try to come up with a viable solution for your problems.