Update the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note T879 with Official CM10.1 Nightlies (Android 4.2.1 ROM)
The T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note has received its first build of CM 10.1 Nightlies, and you can use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully flash this custom ROM. Read the entire post and you should be able to flash the CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies at your first attempt.
This is the first build of CM10.1 Nightly for the Galaxy Note and there is no official changelog for this ROM but you should expect it to feature some small problems. It is not a final CM10.1 ROM and that is why you should only install it if you’re a power-user and you wish to see how is an Android 4.2.1 custom OS running on your phablet.
In order to make sure that you complete the installation of CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies on your T-Mobile Galaxy Note T879:
- This is a guide that works only with the T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note, it has the model number T879. Don’t use this tutorial with other Android devices as you will end up bricking them.
- Use the guide only if your phablet is rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
- First thing that you should do, before getting tutorial, is to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will act as cover in case you cannot boot your device after installing the CM10.1 Nightly build.
- Move all your data files on your computer or you can choose to save it on your device’s internal SD card, as that part won’t be changed during the update.
- Since you will ‘factory reset’ the device, then it means that the /system partition will be wiped out and applications, SMS and other similar data will be removed in the process. That is why you should opt to backup such data using the following apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Some of these tools will ask for root access.
- Sync your Gmail with the Contacts. This will make sure that you won’t lose any important Contacts data and phone numbers.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Android Developer Options in Settings menu.
- Make sure that the battery of your device is fully charged. This will prevent it from powering off while you’re flashing the new custom CM10.1 ROM.
- It is a guide for advanced users and you shouldn’t try to use the tools in this post if you don’t know what you’re doing.
- We cannot be blamed in case you brick the phablet device. Nor can be held responsible if you lose any important data in the process. Make sure to use the comments section and ask for extra help, in case you cannot complete the install at your first attempt.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to prepare your device for the updating process. Now you can get to the next part of this post and learn how to update the phablet with the latest CyanogenMod 10.1 release.
If your device is already running a CM10.1 ROM, then you won’t have to apply step 7. Simply flash the new ROM over the previous one since these two are running on the same kernel.
How to install CM 10.1 Nightly Official build for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note:
- Download the CM10.1 first nightlies from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Gapps for CyanogenMod 10.1 from HERE. This is the file that you have to install in order to get all Google-based apps installed on your phone. Don’t unzip the file.
- Now, connect the Galaxy Note to your computer. Move the downloaded files on its internal SDcard and when the transfer is done you should disconnect the phablet from PC.
- Power off your Galaxy Note TMO completely.
- Next, boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing simultaneously Volume Up, Home and Power. Release the buttons when the custom Recovery main menu appears.
- OPTIONAL STEP: Create a full Nandroid backup of your current ROM using the ‘backup and restore’ option from the CWM Recovery selection menu. If you already have such backup then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this step.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
- Select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ when the ROM installs. Find the ‘Gapps’ zip and confirm that you want to install it. Return to the main CWM Recovery menu when done.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ option.
- Wait until your device managed to complete the booting process. This shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your Galaxy Note TMO.
- Test the CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies ROM and tell us in comments which are its best features.
NOTE: If the first boot process under this new ROM takes too long to complete, then you will have to power off the device completely. After that you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Usually, some custom ROMs will not install at the first attempt and you should keep trying until you do manage to install CM10.1 Nightlies for Galaxy Note T-Mobile.
I think that these are all the instructions that you had to read in order to update your phone. If you have any other questions then you should ask for more help in our comments field, we will come up with a viable solution only if you’re leaving a detailed comment.
In case you don’t like this new CyanogenMod 10.1 / Android 4.2.1 Nightlies build, then you can use CWM Recovery mode to restore the previous OS backup, if you thought about creating such file before installing the new files.
Also, remember that you can keep upgrading this new custom ROM by opening the Settings app > About device and then check the info listed under ‘CyanogenMod Updates’; you won’t have to enter into any CWM recovery mode, as you will simply download the new Nightly CM10.1 build and then simply click Update, as the Galaxy Note TMO will take care of the rest.