Update Turkey Galaxy GIO S5660 using Android 2.3.6 XXKTI Gingerbread Firmware
The GIO S5660 is a low-end smartphone that is a part of the Samsung Galaxy series of devices announced at the 2011 MWC and released in UK in March 2011 while the US received it in December 2011. However, here we won’t be talking about the UK or US edition, but about the Turkish version that Google released a Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware update for and, how to successfully update it by using the instructions listed in this article.
Along with the GIO device, there were other three low-end phones released, the Galaxy Ace, Fit and Mini which are lacking some important features. However, those of you who own a GIO and you’re living in Turkey then you can easily use the instructions listed in this post and learn how to successfully apply the Gingerbread update. This is an official release by the locale carrier and make sure that your device has been bought from Turkey because otherwise this won’t work and you will be forced to look elsewhere for this update or you can wait until the tutorial guide appear on our website.
The Turkey release of this Gingerbread 2.3.6 has been called XXKTI and it comes with support for your local language and it is recommended for you to install, as it is stable and you don’t need to root your phone for this to work. If your device is already rooted then by applying this update you will revoke the root access and your device will be running stock firmware. For those of you that are looking forward for a root for this device, you will need to wait some time because momentarily there is no such thing and it might take some time until it gets released. Now that you know all this info I think that you’re ready to get to the next part where you will learn how to prepare your device and computer for the updating process.
So, before starting to update your Galaxy GIO S5660, you need to prepare your device for the process and this can be done by reading the instructions listed below:
- during the update some files might get corrupted which means that you need to backup all your music, video, pictures and other important files, so that you won’t lose them during the firmware update.
- Sync your contacts with your Gmail account and that will prevent you from losing any phone numbers.
- you can choose to save the APN and MMS settings so that you will be able to restore the internet settings in case the update messes up them and the internet access gets blocked.
- charge your phone’s battery until it reaches over 80% and your phone won’t discharge during the updating process.
- remove or disable all your currently installed firewall, antivirus or antimalware applications and this way you no other software will interfere with your actions and the update will be applied successfully.
- enable the USB debugging mode.
Now that you’ve read all the info above, I think that you’re ready to move to the next step and learn how to update your Galaxy GIO S5660 device easy and fast. Make sure to read all instructions and do not skip any steps because that will force to repeat all the actions and that will be time consuming. Here’s how to update your GIO S5660 smartphone using the XXKTI 2.3.6 Gingerbread firmware:
- Download the Android 2.3.6 XXKTI Gingerbread zip package files and save it on your computer.
- Extract the zip files in a single directory on your computer’s desktop. Make sure that there are four files extracted: a .dll, Odin exe, a .md5 file and .ops file.
- Now, launch ODIN and power OFF your GIO device.
- We need to boot in Download mode and this can be done by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Center button and then press the Power button.
- Now connect your device with your PC using the USB cable. The ID:COM section in ODIN will turn Yellow, this means that all drivers were installed and you can move to the next step. Please note that if the ID:COM doesn’t turn yellow then you need to install the USB drivers in your PC and enable the Samsung KIES options from your phone’s USB Settings.
- In ODIN, make sure to enable the options titled: One Package, Auto Reboot and Protect OPS.
- Now, click the ‘OPS’ tab, it’s on the right side of ODIN and select the ‘GIO_v1.0.ops file’ from the extracted folder you created at step 2.
- Click the ‘One Package’ tab and select the ‘.md5′ file that corersponds to the XXKTI 2.3.6 Gingerbread firmware.
- Press the Start button for the firmware update to begin. Wait until this is completed and only afterwards your phone will be rebooted.
- When the home screen loads it means that you can move to the next step.
- Now, disconnect the phone from your computer and power OFF your GIO smartphone.
- Enter Recovery mode by pressing the Volume UP and Center button. While you’re keeping these pressed you need to hit Power and wait for your device to load the recovery mode.
- When in Recovery you need to select the following options and confirm their actions: Wipe data/ factory reset and Wipe cache partition.
- Now reboot your device by selecting the options that says ‘reboot system now’ and then wait for it to load into the new XXKTI firmware update.
If everything went accordingly to plan it means that your device has been updated with the Turkey based 2.3.6 Android Gingerbread firmware and now you are free to start customizing and playing with all its new features. In case the firmware wasn’t updated you will need to repeat the entire process once again as something might’ve gone wrong and you need to start all over and hopefully this time the GIO S5660 will be successfully updated to the new firmware.
I hope that this guide helped you update your Turkey Galaxy GIO smartphone to XXKTI 2.3.6 Android Gingerbread version and if you have any other questions then please feel free to post them in our comments sections and you should receive some extra help with your troubles. Feel free to browse the rest of our website as you will find numerous other Android guides and some tips and tricks on how to better customize your smartphone to gain maximum performance out of its features.