Those who own the US Cellular version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 can now experience the CM10.1 custom ROM firmware, as the unofficial port of the software has been made available and can now be easily installed on your Note 2. Even though this is the unofficial CM10.1 ROM, don’t worry as the platform is stable and will smoothly run on your Galaxy Note 2 SCH-R950. For further info about the update (features, reported bugs and so on) and for the suitable step by step guide check and apply the following lines.
CyanogenMod is one of the most popular custom ROM firmware designed for the Android system, being available for almost all the handsets (smartphones and tablets) available on the market nowadays. In fact the CM10.1 software is a free after-market distribution of the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS and can be installed without having any particular Google apps, being based on the Android Open Source Project. Basically the system offers features that cannot be found in the default variant of the Jelly Bean ROM, so you will be updating your US Cellular Galaxy Note 2 with the same.
Take note that this version of CM10.1 has been developed and can be installed only on the US Cellular Samsung Galaxy Note 2, so don’t try to flash the same on a similar device. For the international Galaxy Note 2 or for the LTE version of the phablet use our suitable tutorials by using our how to section. Now, as stated, this is not the official CM10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM, so there might be some minor bugs included in the system. According to those who had already tried this software there are some problems with the camcorder, camera and with NFC. Don’t worry though as these issues will are being resolved as we speak.
Beside of the mentioned aspects, everything else is working perfectly, so by flashing the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CM10.1 firmware you will be able to customize and optimize the performances of your Galaxy Note 2, improve its battery, gain speed and add important features and apps in order to enjoy a better Android experience. So, if you want to receive all that, follow and complete the present step by step guide. The tutorial will take you through the installation procedure and also will prepare your phablet for the same. The pre requisites are being explained during the next list, so make sure that you are properly preparing your handset for the update operation that will shortly follow.
- This is a complex and risky operation, so as usual a backup is being recommended. Also, by installing the CM10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM on your Galaxy Note 2, the data will be erased as a system wipe will be performed. Because of that make a Nandroid backup and save everything you need to before going any further (contacts, messages, EFS, market apps and so on).
- Root the US Cellular Galaxy Note 2, or else you will not be able to complete the tutorial.
- The warranty will get void, so try not to mess thing up; just follow my directions and everithing should be fine.
- For restoring the warranty downgrade to stock ROM or update with an official OS released by Samsung and suitable with your version of Note 2.
- Install a custom recovery image on your phablet; this tool can be flashed only on a rooted system and it will be used on the update procedure.
- Then, because you will have to download some files, a Windows running computer must be used.
- Don’t forget that your phablet and its USB cable must be there too.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your device and if you notice that there is less than 60% power left, go and plug in the charger.
- Deactivate the security protection (antivirus, Firewall and so on) from both Galaxy Note 2 and computer before starting the update process.
- This guide should be used only by those who own the US Cellular version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (model number SCH-R950); applying this CM10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM firmware on a different handset will make you brick your device.
How to Update US Cellular Galaxy Note 2 R950 with CM10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- As mentioned, first you need to download some files on your computer.
- Get the update file from here; optional, get the Dark messaging (download link here) and the Center Clock app (download link here).
- Use the link from here and download Google Apps.
- Then, connect the phablet with the computer as you need to coy-paste these files from the computer to your device.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Turn off the handset.
- Reboot into recovery mode menu.
- By using the same first select: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- After returning to the main menu (select “+++go back+++”) choose “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Take the update file and flash the same. Then, similar, apply the Google Apps package and in the end (optional) flash the add-ons.
- When the installation procedure is over, select “+++go back+++”, “reboot system now” and you are done.
If you will get a boot loop, or error messages, boot into recovery once more and wipe the system again just like showed above. Also, don’t panic if you notice that the first boot is taking longer than usual.
There you have it; that was the easiest way that can be used by those who want to update their US Cellular Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with the CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware. Remember that if you had previously made a Nandroid backup, in case you don’t like the new software, you can anytime restore the stock OS by using the recovery mode menu once more (do similar as explained in the update tutorial, but this time choose to restore the ROM not to wipe the system or to install a zip file).