This tutorial teaches how to successfully install the official CM 10.1 RC2 ROM for your US Cellular edition of Galaxy S3. Read this post and you should be able to flash all files in under minutes. Note that this is a guide for advanced Android users.
The Release Candidate 2 of CM 10.1 is a more stable build than the Nightlies and M snapshots and, since it is part of one of the most popular Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROMs, I’ve thought that you should learn how to install it. In order to apply all the changes successfully, you have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- this guide is only for the US Cellular variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. The model number of this device is SCH-R5830. Don’t try to flash these files on any other Android device.
- the SGS3 should be rooted and running a custom Recovery mode such as CWM or TWRP. This tutorial has been using the CWM Recovery mode, but the TWRP Recovery will work with it, too.
- create a NANDROID backup of your current OS using the custom Recovery mode before installing a new ROM. It will set a restore file that you can use in case the new OS doesn’t install successfully or the phone refuses to boot with it.
- the tutorial asks you to ‘factory reset’ the device, which is why you should know that only the /system partition will be deleted. The internal / external SD card will not be affected by this guide.
- make sure to backup you applications using any tool that you know it works with your Android phone.
- if you want to backup SMS, APN Internet Settings or Call Logs info, then you should use the following apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Some of these tools will ask for root access, grant it.
- enable USB debugging option from the Developer Options menu under Settings.
- to backup the Contacts data and info, use this guide here and learn to sync it with your Gmail account.
- make sure that there is enough power left in your device’s battery before starting to install the new OS.
- this is a tutorial for advanced users.
- don’t blame us in case you brick the Galaxy S3 or you lose any important data in the process.
- if you cannot complete the install, then you can ask for extra help in comments.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before getting to the interesting part of this post.
How to install CM 10.1 RC2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for the US Cellular Galaxy S3:
- Download the CM 10.1.0 RC2 zip from HERE. Save the file on computer and don’t unzip its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2-based ROMs from HERE. Don’t extract the zip, just save the file on PC.
- Connect the smartphone to your computer now via USB cable. Proceed and move both downloaded files onto your Galaxy S3 internal SDcard.
- Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied.
- Power off your device.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery using the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons simultaneously until the device lights up. The custom Recovery mode screen should load.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option. Create a NANROID backup of your current ROM now.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm this process. NOTE: If your phone is already running an official CM 10.1 build then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ action.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’. From the next screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Browse your device’s internal SD card for the CM 10.1.0 RC2 zip and install it.
- When the CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM is installed, select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Now, find the Gapps file and install this one, too.
- After you finish installing both files, get back to the first CWM Recovery screen. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now the first boot process of this new ROM will begin and it shouldn’t take more than 5-7 minutes to complete.
- The home screen of CM 10.1 RC2 Jelly Bean OS should now load and you can take control over your device by entering your Google Account details.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes too long to complete, it freezes or the phone enter into a boot loop animation, then you should power off the device completely. After that you need to repeat the entire tutorial, only that this time you make sure to apply step 8 actions and factory reset the device.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation and that your US Cellular Galaxy S3 phone has been upgraded to the latest Release Candidate build of CM 10.1 ROM.
If you cannot complete the installation for whatever reasons, then you should ask for more help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we can be able to offer you the best solution and help you install the ROM.