Carbon Android 4.3 AOSP Jelly Bean Custom ROM is now available for the Samsung Galaxy S3 US Cellular model. This guide will help you flash the new ROM without bricking the device.
If you want to know what the Carbon AOSP team bundled within this Nightly Carbon Android 4.3 ROM, then you should take a look at their goo.im website here. In order to flash all the new Jelly Bean custom ROM files without damaging your device, read the guidelines below first:
- This article has to be used only for the US Cellular variant of Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Don’t try to update any other Galaxy S3 models with the files that you find here.
- The phone you’re about to update has to be factory unlocked and rooted.
- Also, it needs to have either CWM or TWRP Recovery installed on it. Both variants will work with this post.
- In the ‘how-to’ part you’ll find a ‘factory reset’ action. This has to be applied, but you need to know that it removes all contents from system partition.
– the internal / external storage won’t be affected by the factory reset.
- Backup data from installed apps with one of these tools: Helium or Titanium Backup.
- To backup SMS, APN Internet Settings or Call Logs info use these utilities for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Grant root access for those apps that need it.
- Backup phone numbers and other Contacts data by syncing it with your default Gmail account.
– if you don’t know how to sync Contacts with Gmail, then use the info listed here.
- You should create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
– this sets a restore point for your device.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This guide should be applied by advanced Galaxy S3 users. You cannot held us responsible in case you lose data or you brick the device in the updating process.
- Check the phone’s battery power level so that it says that there is still over 50% left before it drains completely.
- If you have troubles completing the installation, then you can ask for more help in comments.
How to flash Carbon Android 4.3 AOSP ROM for US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
– click the ‘modification time’ tab for the latest builds to show up first.
– download the latest Carbon Nightly JB file and save it on your computer without extracting its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 ROMs from here.
– save the file on your PC.
– this needs to be installed after you flash the ROM as it will add all Google apps to your phone’s ROM.
- Connect the Galaxy S3 US Cellular to your computer, then move both zip archives to your phone’s internal storage.
– after the files are copied, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your USC Galaxy S3.
- Boot it into Custom Recovery Mode.
– in case you don’t know how to boot CWM / TWRP Recovery, then you’ll find the info here very useful.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently running on your phone:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then backup to internal storage option. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Backup button. Confirm the process.
> this file can be used to restore your SGS3 to its previous state in case you don’t like the new ROM or in case the device doesn’t boot into normal mode after the files are flashed.
- Now you need to apply the ‘factory reset’:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press the Wipe button, then the Factory Reset one and confirm the process.
- Next, flash the Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 Nightly zip file:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the custom ROM zip. Confirm the installation.
– TWRP: press Install, then browse the internal storage for the ROM zip. Confirm that you want to install it by swiping the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
- When the ROM is installed, you will need to repeat step 8 actions and flash the Gapps zip.
- Return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery screen. Reboot your device now into normal mode.
– if the first boot process takes more than 10 minutes to complete, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial.
- Enter your Google Account info when the home screen of Carbon JB Nightly ROM appears. Take control over your device and start testing all its new features.
I hope that you’ve managed to update your US Cellular Galaxy S3 with the latest Carbon ROM build. If you have any other questions, then you should ask for extra help in comments.