Update US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3 to CM10 M2 Jelly Bean build
CyanogenMod team recently launched their seconds Monthly stable release of CM10 and now you can install it on your SGS3 US Cellular variant smartphone by using this guide.
Before you can start to update your device you should read the pre-requisites info below and learn how to correctly configure your device and backup its data so that you’ll manage to flash all the required files from your first try. This update brings several tweaks and only a few new functions and features. It is based on the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and CM10.
Use this tutorial only if you’re an advanced user and do not attempt to flash these files if you’re a novice. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install this update only on the US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3. Do not attempt to flash the CM10 M2 on any other Android phones.
- The device you’re about to update should be rooted and running CWM Recovery. If your device isn’t rooted, then you should read how to do it and apply those changes first. After you’re done with the root, return to this post.
- Create a full backup of the existing ROM so that you will be able to restore it in case you don’t like the new ROM. You can create a backup using CWM Recovery or ROM Manager or any other similar tool from Google Play Store.
- Use the following applications to save all your installed apps, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack backup tool for Android apps. Save all the info from these apps and only after that you should move to the tutorial.
- Sync your Contacts with the Gmail account you’ve assigned for your Android device.
- Note that this ROM is not an official Samsung release. It is a release by CyanogenMod team and it is only the second monthly update release for your US Cellular SGS3.
- Please note that you shouldn’t blame us in case your device gets bricked in the process.
- Read the entire article and only when you’re sure that you can complete it, then you can begin the updating process. Note that you have to read all steps listed in the tutorial. In case you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
These are all the guidelines you had to read and now you’re free to move to the next part of this article.
How to update the US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3 with CM10-M2 Jelly Bean ROM:
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE. Get the latest version of the ROM and save it on your computer.
- Download the Gapps zip for Jelly Bean from HERE. Save the file on your PC.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer, and then move the files downloaded at steps 1 and 2 on your phone’s internal sdcard. Unplug the smartphone from PC.
- Power off your US Cell SGS3. Boot into CWM Recovery by pressing at the same time ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. When the screen powers ON you should release the buttons.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option from the main CWM Recovery menu. In case you’re coming from a CM10 based kernel, then you can skip this step.
- Now you need to select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM10-M2 custom ROM zip and install it.
- When the ROM install successfully, you should select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Gapps zip for Jelly bean file and install.
- After both the ROM and the Gapps file were installed, you should return to the main menu of ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and your phone will restart with its new ROM.
- Enter your Google account details and then you’ll take control over all your phone’s functions. That’s it, you’ve successfully updated your device with a new custom ROM.
These are all the steps that you had to take. Note that in case the first boot process takes over 10 minutes to complete, then you should power off the device and then remove its battery. Re-insert the battery and then repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4. You should be able to flash all files on your second time.
If you have any extra questions, please post them in our comments field and we will try to come up with a solution to your problem.