Milestone 2 JB-MR1 is the latest version of the AOKP platform that has been released for the Android OS. So, since the initial launch more and more devices has been added to the supported list, the AOKP firmware being now available for almost all the Android based smartphones and tablets out there. The custom update can be applied by anytime, but when doing so make sure you follow suitable step by step guides – else you will risk in damaging your phone. Today, we will be checking on how to install the AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM software on the Verizon Motorola Droid Razr XT910 and XT912.
So, the first thing to conclude: this tutorial is compatible only with the Verizon versions of the Droid Razr handsets, model numbers XT910 and XT912. Therefore, flash the Android JB 4.2.2 based AOKP Milestone 2 firmware by using this guide only if you own one of the mentioned devices. Else, you will probably brick your smartphone.
The Milestone 2 version of the AOKP system is said to be the last Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean release as the Android 4.3 software is about to be made available – the new Android OS has been already spotted and can be downloaded on the Google Nexus 4. So, the next AOKP update will be powered by the Jelly Bean 4.3 firmware. Until then, you should test and experience the Milestone 2 custom ROM which comes to improve, customize and optimize the performances of your Verizon Motorola Droid Razr.
The update will come with extra features and capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android OS and with its own Jelly Bean user interface so your Droid Razr will not be installed with the default variant of the JB 4.2.2 software. From the features that will be added on your smartphone we have to mention Permission management, AOKP Ribbon, Dark AOKP, mGerrit, Persistence support, Quick Torch on Lockscreen, HDR mode in AOSP Camera, New Toggles and Superuser from Koush. Many other capabilities are being included on the Milestone 2 release, so for receiving the same on your Verizon Razr XT910 and XT912 complete this guide and learn how to apply the AOKP custom ROM firmware.
It should be clear for you by now the following: this is not an official update rolled out by Motorola or Verizon for your Droid Razr smartphone. The AOKP ROM is an unofficial port of the Android system – a free aftermarket distribution of the same – so for being able to flash the software you will first have to root your Droid Razr. The beta or unofficial updates can be applied only on unchained devices, so the same is applying when talking about your Razr. Then, after gaining root access, on your phone install a custom recovery image, like CWM or TWRP recovery, because the stock recovery isn’t useful in this case.
Considering the mentioned aspects we can conclude another thing: the Motorola Droid Razr warranty will get void. So be careful when updating with AOKP Milestone 2 JB 4.2.2 as if something goes wrong you can even end up in bricking your phone – if you follow my directions and the steps from below nothing bad will happen though, so don’t panic. Also, the warranty can be restored easily but only afterwards: you must downgrade your handset to stock Android OS or you can update with an official release of the same firmware.
Things to do before starting the update operation:
- Backup the Verizon Motorola Droid Razr data because a wipe of the system will be required and you will lose all of your personal data, info and accounts. Consider making a Nandroid backup too for saving the current ROM. If something bad happens or if you don’t like the AOKP Milestone 2 JB 4.2.2 ROM, you can easily restore the same.
- Make sure you can use a computer, your device and its USB cable.
- On the computer deactivate the security protection or else the antivirus programs will interfere with the installation procedure.
- Your phone must be charged if there is less than 60% power left; else it might get turned off in the middle of the flashing operation and you don’t want that to happen.
- On your handset the USB debugging option must be enabled (go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”) or else you will not be able to connect your smartphone with the computer.
Finally you can start the proper step by step guide; do read all the lines from above before heading to the next and final section of this tutorial.
How to Update Verizon Motorola Droid Razr XT910 and XT912 with AOKP Milestone 2 JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the AOKP update for the Droid Razr XT910 from here.
- Use the link from here for the Razr XT912.
- Place the update files on your computer without unzipping.
- Then, on the same computer download the Google Apps package from here.
- Then, connect your handset with the computer.
- Copy-paste the downloaded files from your PC to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable and disconnect the devices.
- Turn off your Droid Razr, wait a few seconds and then reboot your phone into recovery mode.
- Use the recovery mode and apply: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery.
- Select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the AOKP Milestone 2 firmware file.
- Flash the ROM.
- Return and repeat the procedure for flashing the Google Apps package.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
- If there were problems, try to resolve the issues by using and following the guidelines from this tutorial.
Good job; congratulations you have successfully installed the latest version of AOKP, the Milestone 2 build on your Verizon Motorola Droid Razr XT910 and XT912. Now your phone is powered by a custom variant of the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS, so enjoy the same. Test the software and then return here, use the comments area from below and share your impressions with our team and with those who are interested in flashing the AOKP update on their Dorid Razr.