Update Verizon Galaxy Nexus to official AOKP JB-MR1 Build 3 (Android 4.2.1 ROM)
The Verizon variant of Galaxy Nexus has received its own version of AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM which has reached the Monthly Release build 3 version. Read the entire post and you should be able to flash the new custom ROM in no time without risking any data loss or bricking the phone.
The new update brings several new functions such as the LastApp toggle, an UI mode selector that lets you choose from Phone , Phablet and tablet UI, a transparency control for the entire ROM, Dual Panel for any DPI and many others. In order to make sure that you correctly install the custom ROM on your device, you will first need to read the guidelines below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Verizon variant of Samsung Galaxy Nexus. This guide won’t work with any other smartphones or tablets.
- Your device should be on unlocked bootloader and running a custom Recovery image. Obviously, it has to be rooted.
- Use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of the current ROM. This will act as cover in case you cannot use your device after the installation of AOKP ROM.
- The tutorial will tell you to factory reset your phone, which is why you should use these tools to backup SMS, Call logs info and other similar data that is usually stored on your device’s /system partition: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. The internal SDcard won’t be affected by the ‘factory reset’ process.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account. You will need to enter the same Google Account after the installation is complete in order to get all your phone numbers and contact details restored to your device.
- In case you’re currently running a ROM that is based on AOKP JB then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ step.
- Enable USB debugging option for your device.
- Your phone should be on an Android 4.1 / 4.2 ROM.
- Charge the phone’s battery before getting to the tutorial guide. This will prevent your phone from powering off during the installation.
- Don’t blame us in case your device gets bricked in the process. Also, we cannot be held responsible if any data is lost during the installation.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below.
I think that now you can get to the tutorial and learn how to properly flash an AOKP ROM on your smartphone.
How to install AOKP JB MR1 build 3 ROM on Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- Download the MR1 Build3 ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC. Do not extract the contents of this zip.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.2.1 custom ROMs from HERE. This will help you flash the Google apps for your device. Don’t unzip its contents.
- Connect the smartphone to your PC and then move both downloaded files on its internal SDcard. Disconnect the device from PC when you’re done.
- Power off your Verizon Gnex phone.
- Boot it into Fastboot mode by pressing and holding simultaneously Volume Up, Volume Down and Power.
- Select ‘Recovery’ option using the volume buttons and then press Power to confirm that you want to boot the Custom Recovery mode.
- Now you can create a Nandroid backup of the current ROM using the ‘backup’ option. If you have such file on your phone then you can skip this step.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm this process. NOTE: If your device is already running on an AOKP JB rom then you can skip this step too.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’. From the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then find the AOKP JB MR1 build 3 file. Confirm that you want to install it.
- When the custom ROM is installed you can select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Then, find the Gapps zip and install it.
- After both files have been installed you can return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot’ and then wait until the first boot process of AOKP JB MR1 ROM is complete.
- Enter your Account and then you can begin testing the new OS.
NOTE: In case the ROM doesn’t install at the first attempt or the first boot process takes too long to complete, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. The second time you have to make sure that you apply step 8 actions. Eventually the new ROM should install successfully.
If you’re having any other problems with the installation, then you should ask for more help in our comments section.