The Verizon Galaxy Note 2 can now be updated with a custom Android 4.4.4 KitKat build using the AOKP Nightly ROM. Read this whole guide if you want to learn how to successfully flash this new ROM on your device.
The AOKP Nightlies latest ROM builds are based on stock Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware, but you will also find tons of elements designed by the Android Open Kang Project team, so you should give it a try. This is a popular custom ROM and it is a great one as you can install it and get rid of all the TouchWiz elements and other ugly things that Samsung and Verizon decided that it would work great with your phone.
Learn more about AOKP and their work by visiting the blog page here.
Before starting the installation you should read the guidelines below:
- use this tutorial only with the Verizon variant of Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
– your phone should have the model number set to I605.
– check the model number under Settings> About Device.
– do not try to update any other different Note 2 device with the files that you will find in the tutorial.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM or TWRP custom Recovery.
- in the tutorial you can find two extra preparation steps: NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset.
– the NANDROID Backup creates a complete restore point for your phone, one that you can use in case the new AOKP 4.4.4 ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– Factory Reset will make sure that you apply a clean installation of this new AOKP ROM.
– if you are currently running an older build of AOKP 4.4.x ROM then you can skip the ‘factory reset’.
- users that wish to save data from the installed apps can try to do it using the Helium tool for Android.
– Contacts info can be synced with your Gmail profile.
- this is a post for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone, nor in case you end up losing any data in the process.
- read the whole guide and don’t skip any steps.
- check the battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent your phone from switching off during the installation.
Now that you know all that you should continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash AOKP 4.4.4 KitKat Nightlies for Verizon Galaxy Note 2 I605:
- Download the AOKP I605 Nightly zip from here or here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your VZW Note 2 to your PC and move both zip files on to its internal storage.
– if you’ve downloaded the files straight to your phone, then you can skip this step.
– do not unzip the files.
– disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied successfully.
- Power off the phone now.
- Next, boot your Note 2 Verizon phone in custom Recovery Mode.
- First, create a NANDROID ROM Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ from the main custom Recovery screen.
– TWRP: press Backup.
– continue to the next step when done.
- Now you can apply the ‘factory reset’:
– note that this factory reset only wipes the system partition, it doesn’t mess up your phone’s internal or external storage.
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
– note: in case your device already runs on a previous AOKP 4.4.x ROM build, then you can skip this step.
- Install the new ROM now:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the new AOKP I605 KitKat Nightly zip and confirm its installation.
- After the ROM is flashed you should install the Gapps zip with the same actions as in step 8.
- Reboot your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 in normal mode after the AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly and Gapps zips have been installed successfully.
– note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Use your Google account info in order to take control over your phone once again.
These were the steps that you had to take in order to update your Verizon Note 2 with a custom Android 4.4.4 ROM.
In case the installation fails, then you need to try and repeat the whole guide more than once. Make sure not to skip any steps and to apply the ‘factory reset’.
In case you need more help, then you should use our comments field below.