The Android 4.1 based Goodness Jelly Bean Edition custom ROM firmware had just been released by those of xda-developers and can now be easily installed on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, so as usual, we will be checking in how to flash the same on your device. You can complete this operation by checking the lines from below, where I have explained an easy to follow step by step guide that can be safely applied for your Galaxy S3 smartphone. So, if you want to try a new software for your S3 (ported from the Sprint variant of the SGS3), you should read this tutorial and install the Goodness Jelly Bean Edition Android 4.1 firmware.
The Goodness Jelly Bean Edition custom ROM is being based on the official Android 4.1 firmware and will bring the stock Android 4.1 look to your Galaxy S3. Anyway, beside the default Jelly Bean user interface, the Goodness software will install several features on your SGS3 that cannot be found in the stock version of the Android update. Therefore, by flashing the present OS improvement on your S3, you will be able to test a new firmware that brigs complex apps, tools and features for optimizing and customizing the performances of your phone.
The present ROM is fast and stable, all the features working perfectly on this version of the OS. Of course, the same is being provided by those of xda-developers meaning that we are not dealing with an official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update for your Verizon Galaxy S3. This means that you cannot OTA apply the firmware or use the KIES tool for the same. A manual method must be completed, so this tutorial must be considered risky and complex. You should be careful in what you do as if you are somehow messing things up, you can end up in bricking your handset.
Considering these aspects, it is more than recommended to backup the SGS3 data before going any further. Also, a wipe must be applied so all of your personal info will be erased. Don’t worry though because completing the backup will only take a couple of minutes from your time. Also, you can use our backup and restore guides for learning how to store the messages, call logs, EFS, contacts and basically everything else you need to. Do tell us (by using the comments area) if you are having troubles in saving the data.
As soon as the Verizon Galaxy S3 data is backed up you should head your attention towards more complex and important tasks. And you should begin by rooting the S3 as the Android 4.1 Goodness Jelly Bean Edition ROM can be installed only on a rooted system. As you know, completing a root operation implies in making changes into the internal system which brings another aspect to our attention: the warranty. By gaining root access the warranty will be void. If something bad happens you will be by yourselves so if you are not comfortable with this aspect, maybe it will be better to stop going further.
As a final tip related to the warranty, you should know that you can restore the same. You can do this by downgrading to the stock ROM or by updating your Galaxy S3 to an official software released by Samsung for your Verizon model of the phone.
Now, after rooting the system, you must install a custom recovery image, such as CWM recovery, which will be used a little bit later on the update operation. Take note as a custom recovery image can be flashed only if your SGS3 has been previously rooted, so make sure you are reading all the lines from this step by step guide. Now, you should check the rest of the pre requisites, which are being detailed and mentioned during the list from below.
- In order to make it through the installation process, you will need to use a Windows running computer, your Galaxy S3 and its USB cord.
- By using the same you will have to download the proper files, copy them to your device and then apply the Goodness Jelly Bean Edition ROM.
- For that, first you need to deactivate all the security programs, such as antivirus and Firewall protection, which are being running on the PC and on the handset. Usually these tools are interfering with our work and we don’t want that to happen.
- Next, you should also check the battery status of your smartphone; if you notice that the power left is less than 60%, go and charge the battery before heading to the update process.
- Also, on your S3 enable the USB debugging option.
- And, finally, make sure that you are updating the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 with Goodness Jelly Bean Edition software, or else you will brick your Android based device.
How to Update Verizon Galaxy S3 with Goodness Jelly Bean 4.1 Edition Custom ROM Firmware
- As mentioned before, on your computer download the update file.
- The download link is here, so use the same.
- Also, download the modem for your phone from here.
- Next, take the USB cord and by using it connect the Galaxy S3 with the computer.
- Take the downloaded files and just copy-paste or drag and drop it to your phone’s internal storage memory.
- You can now safely remove the USB cord.
- Turn off the handset and reboot it in recovery mode.
- On the S3 the recovery mode can be entered by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together.
- Now, from the recovery mode, first select: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, return to the recovery menu and from there select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- The installation process can be started by picking the update file from the SD card.
- Don’t make other changes in recovery.
- Also, remember that you need to install the modem too; so repeat the above steps for installing the same.
- When the update is flashed just select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now” and you are done.
- If you notice that the first boot is taking longer than usual, don’t panic that’s normal.
Well, that’s all for now. You now know how to update the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 with Goodness Jelly Bean Edition Android 4.1 custom ROM firmware. Of course more Android 4.1, 4.2, or even 4.2.1 based software will be provided for your Galaxy S3 so if you want the best for your device, stay close and check our daily posts. Also, you can anytime update your S3 with another firmware by checking our “update Galaxy S3” section. We are done, but if you had problems while trying to complete the above explained tutorial, use the comments area from below and share the same.