Even though the CyanogenMod team hasn’t officially released the Android 4.3 based CM10.2 custom ROM yet, unofficial ports of the firmware are being already available for several handsets and the Verizon model of the Samsung Galaxy S3 is being included on the list. Therefore, if you want to experience the latest Jelly Bean features and CM 10.2 apps and capabilities on your Galaxy S3 I535, follow and complete this step by step guide which will easily take you through the installation procedure.
But before heading to the steps from below, read our dedicated tutorial for learning everything that’s related to a custom ROM software. Then return here and resume the rest of the lines as you first have to prepare your phone for the installation procedure that will follow.
CM10.2 is based on the official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware and comes with stock and extra features, tools and capabilities. So, if you choose to update your Verizon Galaxy S3 with the CM10.2 software you will receive all the default features along with custom ones that can be used for speeding up your handset, for improving the battery life and for powering up the performances. CM10.2 can be used for personalizing the looks of your SGS3 and for customizing the in-built settings as you will have access to the internal system of your device.
Do remember that this is the unofficial release of CM10.2 so there might be minor bugs or issues though according to those who have already installed the Android 4.3 ROM on their Verizon Galaxy S3 smartphones, the software is stable and works without any problem.
Now, for being able to update your Galaxy S3 to custom JB 4.3 you will have to root your phone first. The root access comes with great advantages, though the warranty will get void. On rooted devices, you can replace the stock recovery with a custom one, you can install a custom ROM (in our case CM10.2), overclock the CPU for bumping the speeds, undervolt for increasing the battery life, flashing a custom kernel and much more.
But, as mentioned the warranty will get void, so be careful when rooting your Verizon Galaxy S3. Also, do note that the warranty can be restored in case you will want to; in that case you will have to downgrade to stock Android OS, or to update (manually as on rooted handsets the OTA released can’t be applied) with an official Android firmware.
After gaining root access on your Galaxy S3 CWM recovery, or any other recovery image, must be installed. Unfortunately CM10.2 can be flashed only via a custom recovery image, so the stock recovery that comes pre-installed on any Android device isn’t useful.
Since you are about to update your S3 with a custom ROM, a wipe will be required. When performing the wipe, your data and info might get corrupted or erased which means that all of your personal saves will be deleted. In order to save what’s important for you, you will have to previously backup the SGS3 data. Don’t forget to backup EFS and the current ROM as if you won’t like the CM10.2 platform, the current firmware will be a good solution.
Finally you will have to prepare the following: a computer or notebook as the firmware must be downloaded on the same; on the computer there shouldn’t be installed any security tools – deactivate the antivirus protection; enable the USB debugging option on your S3 from “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and charge the battery of your phone if the battery status shows less than 60% power left.
Those were the pre requisites. Now you Verizon Galaxy S3 is prepared for the CM10.2 Android 4.3 custom ROM update. Make sure you apply the next steps only for the mentioned smartphone or else you will risk in bricking your Android device. Also, stick to the guidelines from below if you want to avoid the unpleasant situations.
How to Update Verizon Galaxy S3 I535 with CM10.2 Android 4.3 JB Custom ROM Firmware
- First you need to get the CM10.2 update package on your computer.
- Download the software from here.
- Don’t unzip the package just place it on desktop.
- Then, connect your Galaxy S3 with the computer by using the official USB cable.
- Select the update file from desktop and copy-paste it or drag and drop the firmware from your computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the devices and turn off your phone.
- Wait a few seconds.
- Then, press at the same time and for a few seconds the power, volume up and home buttons.
- By doing that the Galaxy S3 will be rebooted into recovery mode.
- Use the recovery mode menu and select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache” – remember to backup the data first.
- Return to the main menu of recovery.
- Then select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the firmware file from the SD card and start the flashing operation.
- When the installation procedure stops, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- If your phone gets stuck in a boot loop return to recovery mode and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; this should resolve the problems.
- Also, for resolving any other issues use our dedicated step by step guide.
Good job, you have successfully installed the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based CM10.2 custom ROM firmware on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 I535. Remember that there might be minor bugs on the system as this is not the official release of CM10.2, but don’t worry as the problems will be removed soon by the CyanogenMod team.