Update Verizon Galaxy S3 with Milestone 6 ICS Custom ROM
The Samsung Galaxy S3 doesn’t need any type of introduction as we all know almost everything about this smartphone. So, we do know that it is maybe the most powerful device available and also the most appreciated one, but what about updates? Yes, the OS updates represents an important aspect when it comes to a high end smartphone, as only by constantly upgrading the OS you can use your phone on its full capacity. That’s why during the next lines I will show you how to manually update your SGS3 with Milestone 6 ICS Android 4.0 custom ROM firmware.
I know that this is not what you were expecting to see due to the numerous Jelly Bean updates available lately, but what you rather choose for your handset from a beta firmware with features that doesn’t works, or a stable OS that comes with many capabilities that will easily power up the performances? In order to make it clear, the Milestone 6 ROM is bringing features that are not found in the official version of the Android platform and it’s also the most stable firmware available for the Galaxy S 3 so far.
Take note that the update can be applied only for the Verizon users of the SGS3, which is model number SCH-i535. Don’t perform this tutorial for similar phones because you can brick its internal system. Also, ensure that you have a rooted handset before beginning the steps as you can’t install the Milestone custom ROM unless your S3 is having a rooted system. A custom recovery image must be installed, so first of all, take care of these aspects and only after that return here and resume the step by step guide.
As you know, when rooting, the warranty will get void. In case you do something wrong you will be by yourselves, so if this isn’t on your taste, maybe it will be a good idea to stop here. If not, you should know that the warranty can easily be restored by downgrading to the stock ROM or by updating with an official software. As soon as you do that, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked (the factory restrictions reinstalled). Anyway, the root procedure is the only way possible for unchaining your phone’s system and for performing other complex operations on it, so it’s no longer an option for you.
Now, as mentioned before, the Milestone ROM will update your Samsung Galaxy S3 with numerous features that will optimize and customize the performances. I recommend you to install this firmware even though I know that you are looking forward in experience the Jelly Bean flavor. But, if you want to make a proper idea about the benefits that comes with this update, below you have some of the Milestone features (there are many other), the ones that will be installed on your S3.
Another recommendation is referring to the data which is stored on your phone. We are dealing with a custom ROM and not with an official update released by Samsung. So, in the end, the data might get corrupted. For avoiding this, you can anytime perform a backup operation. There are many ways for saving your personal info and for the best ones check our backup guides. Just search for the same through our how to section and use our tips. You can then return and complete the rest of the tasks from this tutorial.
Finally we must talk about the preparation things. In this section we will discuss about the operations which are required for the actual steps. So, this might be the most important part of the tutorial. Just take a look over the list from below and complete the lines from there.
- Make sure you have access to a Windows running computer, to your S3 and to its USB cord.
- Root the handset.
- Install a custom recovery image on it.
- Remember to backup the data.
- Then, on the PC and on the phone if there are antivirus programs installed, temporarily uninstall or deactivate them.
- On the smartphone enable the USB debugging option: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- If the handset has less than 60% battery power left, go and charge it first.
The method from below, was first tested (along with the firmware) by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this possibility. Now, be careful in what you do and follow my directions; don’t try to perform things by yourselves as you can brick your smartphone. Remember to apply the guide only for the Verizon SGS3 model number SCH-i535.
How to Update Verizon Galaxy S3 with Milestone 6 ICS Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the ROM file from here and the Google Apps from here.
- Place both file to the computer.
- Then, use the USB cord and connect the phone with the PC.
- Select the downloaded files and copy the same to your handset.
- Disconnect the device.
- Turn it off and reboot in recovery.
- Recovery can be reached for the S3 by pressing on the Volume Up Key and Center button while powering on.
- The first thing to do is a wipe.
- So, from recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then select “+++go back+++”.
- Again, from recovery select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Select the update file first and install the same. In the end, redo the up-mentioned step for flashing the Google Apps too.
- When the installation procedure is over select “+++go back+++” for returning to recovery and then choose “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, you have managed to update your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 to Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 by installing the Milestone 6 custom ROM firmware into its system. Test the software and see how it performs and if you are satisfied by its features. If you want to get another OS for your device don’t hesitate and search for suitable guides through our how to section. Also, share your impressions with us and do tell us if there were problems with the steps from above.