The official Android 4.4.2 KitKat OTA firmware update for Verizon Galaxy S3 smartphone has been launched and now you can use this guide to learn how to install it manually.
As you know Verizon and Samsung and all the other carriers and Android device manufacturers are launching OTA updates in phases. That means that not all the Verizon Galaxy S3 smartphones are getting the latest firmware update at the same time. Follow all the info that we’ve listed in this post and you should manage to complete the updating process manually without bricking your device.
This guide is also great for Verizon Galaxy S3 users who are currently running a custom Android ROM on their phones. Devices with custom ROMs cannot receive official Android updates, so all those that love to tinker with their device’s OS have to use ODIN app and install all the new official firmware releases.
In order to be sure that you will complete the manual update at your first attempt you should first take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this tutorial only with the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number SCH – I535.
– check the phone’s model number under Settings> About Device and make sure that the I535 version is listed.
– do not attempt to update any other Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- install the Samsung USB Drivers on your computer.
– with these drivers installed on your PC you will ensure that Odin will be recognized and allowed to push the new firmware files to your Verizon Galaxy S3.
– Odin is the application that we will use to install the update.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
– in case you can’t find Developer Options in Settings, then you will have to enable this one too.
– check our guide here if you want to learn how to successfully enable USB Debugging for your smartphone, it’s a guide for Galaxy S5, but it works with all devices.
- make sure that you will disable the Samsung KIES and all the antivirus programs from your PC.
– these tools will usually block Odin from installing any new files on your device.
- if your device is rooted, then this update will revoke its root access and restore its warranty.
– also, the installation of a stock Android update will replace any custom Recovery with a stock Recovery.
- if your device is currently running on a custom ROM, then this update will wipe all the data stored on the system partition.
– the internal / external storage of your Verizon Galaxy S3 will not be affected by the installation.
– however, after installing a new official Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update manually with ODIN you will also have to apply a ‘factory reset’ after the update is complete. More about this can be found at the end of this post.
- read the whole guide and do not skip any steps that are listed.
- this post should be applied by advanced Android users.
- note that we cannot be held responsible in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose important files.
- also, make sure to check the battery charge level, make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent it from switching off in the middle of the installation process.
Since you’ve read all of the above now you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to manually apply a firmware update.
How to flash Android 4.4.2 I535VRUDNE OTA Update for Verizon Galaxy S3:
- Download the I535VRUDNE firmware zip file from here.
– note that you will need a SamMobile account in order to be able to download a file from their servers.
- After the zip is downloaded you should extract its contents.
– you will get the I535VRUDNE tar.md5 file, do not extract its contents.
– save the file on your computer.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract the Odin zip files and save them all on your PC.
- Switch off your device.
- Boot the Verizon Galaxy S3 in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin3 v3.09 executable on your computer.
- Use the USB Cable and connect the VZW Galaxy S3 with your PC.
– wait for Odin to detect your smartphone.
– if the device isn’t recognized, then you will have to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers for your device.
- Get back to Odin’s main screen and click on the ‘AP’ button.
- Browse your PC for the I535VRUDNE tar.md5 file extracted in step 2. Load this file in Odin.
– make sure that ‘re-partition’ option is disabled in Odin.
– don’t edit any other default settings.
- Hit the START button when you’re ready to begin the installation of Android 4.4.2 I535VRUDNE update on your Verizon Galaxy S3.
– the installation will take a while to complete, do not press any buttons until ODIN tells you that all files are flashed.
- When the installation is complete you should see the phone restarting.
– note that the first boot process of a brand new Android installation takes several minutes to complete, do not press any buttons.
- Log into your device after the reboot is complete and that should be all.
Hopefully the installation was completed with success and you’ve started to test all the new features added by Android 4.4.2 I535VRUDNE on your Verizon Galaxy 3.
If everything went according to plan, then you can close this guide. However, if you found any errors during installation, then you should read the guidelines below.
NOTE 1: if Odin fails to install all files and it displays some errors, then you will have to try and repeat the whole guide more than once. Make sure to read the guidelines above the tutorial and that your Verizon Galaxy S3 meets all the requirements.
See that the SCH-I535 model number is listed under Settings> About Device section for this guide to work.
In case your device gets stuck in a boot loop, or it freezes for more than 20 minutes at the Samsung Galaxy S3 boot animation screen, but Odin told you that the process was ‘passed’, then you will be forced to apply a Factory Reset.
A Factory Reset is also needed in you were running a custom ROM on your phone prior to installing this new official Android 4.4.2 KitKat over it. Here’s how to apply the factory reset:
- switch off the phone completely.
- boot it into Recovery Mode.
- choose ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option from the Recovery Menu.
– confirm process.
- after the ‘factory reset’ is complete you should reboot the phone in normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to follow. If you need more help you should use the comments field below.