Update Verizon Galaxy S4 I545 with VRUDMI1 Android 4.2.2 Firmware
Even though Samsung had started to roll out the Android 4.3 OTA update for the Galaxy S4, the Verizon users of the same device will have to wait a little bit more until experiencing Jelly Bean 4.3 on their SGS4. Anyway, the carrier released a new OTA software though, but unfortunately the same is still based on Android 4.2.2 system. The new OS is dubbed as VRUDMI1 and comes in addition to the previous official update VRUAME7 which has been pushed out by Verizon not long ago. The new JB 4.2.2 VRUDMI1 platform can be applied only via OTW (over-the-wire), or manually as we will be checking during the present step by step guide.
The Android 4.2.2 VRUDMI1 update comes with several bug fixes and stability improvements but it’s still a minor improvement for the Verizon Galaxy S4. Hopefully, soon we will be able to get Android 4.3 as for now only custom ROMs based on the same are being available for Samsung’s latest flagship. Anyhow, if you decide to apply the new firmware, then you should follow the present tutorial which will teach you how to manually complete the flashing procedure. As stated, since now, the Android 4.2.2 JB VRUDMI1 software has been launched only via OTW, so the OTA version hasn’t been noticed yet.
This guide is compatible with both rooted and unrooted Galaxy S4 I545 though if your smartphone is running on rooted VRUAME7 OS, after applying the guidelines from below, the root access will be revoked. That also means the binary flash counter will be reset, so the warranty will be restored. If you want to re-root your phone after flashing VRUDMI1 JB 4.2.2 firmware don’t use a root tutorial suitable for the previous VRUAME7 software as you can end up in bricking your Android device. Instead, use a step by step guide that can be safely performed for the new Android system –stay close a we will develop a compatible root solution for your Verizon Galaxy S4 that is running on latest Android 4.2.2 VRUDMI1 OS.
Considering the up mentioned lines, by using this guide your phone’s warranty will not get void. Actually the present firmware is coming with a locked bootloader and with all the factory and default restrictions included which means that if you will need to restore the warranty or restore to stock ROM, the steps from below will be perfect for you – that’s why maybe you will want to bookmark this page.
Since we will update the Verizon Galaxy S4 with an official Android OS, on this guide Odin will be required. The program will be used for flashing the firmware, so you have nothing to worry about. Odin is an official program developed by Samsung and offered especially for these types of operations. This tutorial will safely install Android 4.2.2 update on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 I545.
But in order to make things right, you will first have to prepare a few things. The first to start with is a computer or notebook. The same will be required on the update procedure as well as for you handset and for its USB cable. A good idea is to deactivate or disable the antivirus, antimalware and Firewall protection that is running on your computer because the mentioned tools might interfere with our update operation. Also, as a recommendation, you should charge the battery of your phone especially if the battery status indicates less than 60% power left (if your handset gets turned off in the middle of the update operation, you will risk in damaging the system of your S4). Finally, from “settings – applications – development” you should check the USB debugging option because you will have to connect your smartphone with your computer.
Also, a backup might be helpful as in rare cases when using Odin the data might get corrupted or even wiped out. It’s unlikely to see that happening but when coming to your personal data, info and accounts, you can never be too sure about anything. Don’t forget that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Verizon model of the Samsung Galaxy S4 which is dubbed as I545; the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean VRUDMI1 firmware has been released only for the mentioned handset.
How to Update Verizon Galaxy S4 I545 with VRUDMI1 Android 4.2.2 Firmware
- You first have to install Odin on your computer.
- For being able to do so, get the program from here; then unzip the package on desktop, follow the prompts and install Odin.
- Up next, the Verizon Galaxy S4 drivers should be installed on your PC; if not, get Samsung KIES, install the same and flash the required drivers.
- Finally, download the update file on your computer; get the firmware from here and unzip the same on desktop.
- Now, you need to turn off your smartphone.
- Next, you need to reboot your phone in download mode.
- Good; then you have to plug in the USB cable as you need to connect your Galaxy S4 with your computer (Odin must be running on your computer when establishing the connection).
- On Odin you should notice the following: ID:COM section is yellow or blue and “added” message is being displayed.
- If different, close Odin and try to reinstall the drivers once more on your computer; then repeat the steps from above.
- On Odin you have an option dubbed as “PDA”; click on the same.
- From the dropdown menu that will be displayed pick the firmware file from desktop.
- Then, without changing Odin’s default settings click on “start”.
- The Android 4.2.2 update will be installed on your Verizon Galaxy S4.
- You will know that everything is over when on Odin the ID:COM section will be green and the “pass” message will be displayed.
- If there are any kinds of problems or if anything strange happens while you are trying to complete the steps from above, use our dedicated step by step guide and learn how to resolve the most common Android related issues.
Perfect, you are finally done. Your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 I545 has been successfully updated with the official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean VRUDMI1 firmware. Use the comments area from below for sharing your experience with us or with others that might want to use our manual update procedure.