Verizon has pushed out the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat OTA Update for the Samsung Galaxy S5 device. This guide is destined for users that are tired of waiting for the update to arrive and wish to learn how to manually update their smartphone.
Before starting the installation process you will need to read the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S5 Verizon variant.
– this device has the model number set to SM- G900V.
– check your phone’s model number and make sure that it matches the one listed above.
– don’t attempt to update any other Android smartphone with the files that you will find in this article.
- download and then install the Samsung USB Drivers for your PC.
– the drivers will allow you to connect to your computer with Odin and via USB Cable.
– Odin is the application that allows you to push and install the Android 4.4.2 update file for your Verizon Galaxy S5 device.
- the USB Debugging option has to be enabled in Developer Options menu.
– if you don’t know how to enable it, then you should read this info here.
- make sure to disable the Samsung KIES and any antivirus program from running on your PC.
– these apps might block Odin from installing any new files.
- if the Verizon Galaxy S5 is rooted, then the update will revoke root access.
– also, any custom Recovery that’s installed on your device will be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- if your device is currently running a custom ROM you should know that the update process will wipe the system partition.
– the internal / external storage of your device will be left unchanged.
– if you install this update over a custom ROM you will also be forced to apply a ‘factory reset’ after the installation is complete, more info can be found at the end of this article.
- in case you want to save data from installed apps you can use Helium.
– Contacts info and People details can be synced with your default Gmail profile.
- use the guide only if you’re an advanced user, do not blame us in case you end up losing any data in the process.
- make sure that the phone’s battery charge level is over 50%, this will prevent the device from switching off during installation.
- read the whole and do not skip any steps if you wish to complete the update successfully.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update your phone.
How to flash Android 4.4.2 VRU1ANE9 KitKat for Verizon Galaxy S5:
- Download the G900VVRU1ANE9 Android 4.4.2 firmware zip from here.
– make sure to create an account at SamMobile in order to be able to download a file from their servers.
- Extract the contents of the zip file and save the G900VVRU1ANE9 tar.md5 file on your PC.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract the contents of the zip on your PC.
- Power off the Galaxy S5 now.
- Next, boot your Verizon Galaxy S5 in Android Download Mode.
- Launch Odin3 v3.09 exe on your computer.
- Use the USB cable and connect the phone to your computer.
– wait for Odin to detect your device and then continue to the next step.
– if the phone is not recognized, then you will have to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers and make sure that USB Debugging in enabled in Developer Options menu -> check the guidelines above the tutorial for helpful links.
- Get back to ODIN main menu and click ‘AP’ option.
- Browse your PC for the ‘G900VVRU1ANE9 tar.md5′ file and load it in Odin.
– make sure that the Re-Partition option is not enabled in Odin.
– do not edit other Odin default settings.
- When ready press START and wait for Odin to complete the installation of Android 4.4.2 KitKat official update for your Verizon Galaxy S5.
– note that this process will take a while before it flashes all files, somewhere around ten minutes.
- When the install is complete your phone will reboot, wait until Odin shows the ‘PASS’ alert and disconnect your Verizon Galaxy S5 from your computer when the process is complete
– note that the first boot process of this new update will take a while before it loads all the new files, don’t press any buttons until you see the home screen.
- Log into your phone’s main menu and that should be all.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the update of your device.
In case the guide has failed, then you should take a look at the preparation info below.
If Odin freezes or it shows the ‘FAIL’ alert, then you should try to repeat the whole guide more than once. Read once again all the guidelines and make that your phone is meeting all the requirements listed above.
If you encounter any other strange errors, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
If Odin says ‘PASS’, but the Verizon Galaxy S5 doesn’t boot in normal mode, then you should apply a factory reset. This process is also needed for devices that were running a custom ROM previously. Here’s how to apply the Factory Reset:
- power off the device completely.
- next, boot it into Recovery Mode.
- choose ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm process.
- reboot your phone in normal mode after the ‘factory reset’ is complete.