Update Verizon LG G2 with Nightly CM10.2 Android 4.3 Firmware
The Verizon LG G2 is a powerful Android based handset though the most appreciated smartphones are the Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z and now the Galaxy Note 3. Anyway, if you can remember the CyanogenMod team announced that nightly builds of the CM10.2 platform will be made available for the LG G2 soon; well, soon is actually now as the Android 4.3 based firmware has been released by CyanogenMod. Unfortunately until now nightly CM10.2 has been rolled out only for the Verizon model of the LG G2, so during the following lines we will be checking on how to install the mentioned JB 4.3 powered system on your Verizon branded device.
CyanogenMod is a free aftermarket distribution of Android system. Therefore, CM10.2 for Verizon LG G2 is a custom Android 4.3 update that hasn’t been officially released by Verizon or LG. CM10.2 is an unofficial update that comes with great features, apps and capabilities. Of course these features are extra ones – that cannot be found in the default version of Android 4.3. Furthermore, CM10.2 also comes with custom looks, so the UI that will be installed on your LG G2 will not be similar with the stock one.
The best and most important is that you can use the CM10.2 Android 4.3 features and capabilities for upgrading the battery life, bumping the speeds and improving the performances of your Verizon LG G2. CM10.2 is even a better system than stock Android Jelly Bean 4.3, so you have all the reasons for flashing the same on your device. Actually, CyanogenMod is one of the most appreciated custom ROMs from the Android users, the firmware being available for almost all the Android based smartphones and tablets out there, even if we are talking about mid range, low range or high end devices.
Now, as mentioned above, by using this tutorial you will be able to flash the nightly build of CM10.2 on the LG G2. This firmware is stable, comes with all the features and apps that are included on the CM platform and is optimized for the mentioned smartphone; that’s why, with CM10.2 on your Verizon LG G2 you will not experience bugs, lags or things that aren’t working properly. Anyway, if you want to apply the update on your device you will first have to take care of the pre requisites tasks from below.
- Root your LG G2 (use this guide if you want a root solution that can be applied on all the G2 models).
- Install CWM recovery or any other custom recovery image on your LG G2.
- Backup the data of your smartphone.
- Make sure that you can use a computer.
- Enable USB debugging option on your phone.
- Deactivate the security protection from both smartphone and computer.
- Charge your G2 if the battery level is under 50% of power.
Now, in order to detail the up mentioned steps, here is what you need to know; first of all gaining root access is being required because an unofficial update can be flashed only on unchained systems. Unfortunately gaining root access is also an unofficial operation which implies in voiding the warranty of your device. So, be careful, use suitable tutorials and try not to mess things up as the warranty will be lost. The best is that you can restore the warranty easily as all you have to do is to reset the flash counter by downgrading your Verizon LG G2 to stock Android OS, or update with an official OTA release of the same.
Good; furthermore, CWM recovery is being required because by using the same, or any other custom recovery image, you will flash the CM10.2 ROM via SD card. Do note though that CWM recovery can be installed only on a rooted LG G2. The backup operation is recommended because on the update operation a wipe must be applied. With the wipe all of your personal data, info and accounts will be erased. That’s why it is important to save everything that’s important to you before going any further.
Finally, USB debugging must be enabled (from path “menu -> settings -> developer options”) because you will have to connect your handset with the computer; you need to deactivate the security options and programs because these tools are usually interfering with the update operation and you need to plug in the charger because if your G2 gets turned off in the middle of the flashing process, you will risk in damaging its internal system.
Good; now you can safely being the proper guide. But before remember that nightly CM10.2 Android 4.3 Custom ROM is compatible only with the Verizon model of LG G2 –don’t use this step by step guide for flashing the same firmware on a different Android based device.
How to Update Verizon LG G2 with Nightly CM10.2 Android 4.3 Firmware
- The CM10.2 update file must be downloaded on your computer.
- The download link is here, so use the same.
- Save the file on your computer and don’t unzip the update package.
- Up next, connect your LG G2 with the PC; use the USB cord for establishing the connection.
- Now, take the downloaded file from desktop and transfer it on your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable as the computer isn’t useful anymore.
- Now, turn off your handset because recovery mode must be entered.
- Use this dedicated step by step guide for learning how to enter recovery mode on Verizon LG G2.
- From recovery you first have to wipe the system; just select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Select “+++go back+++” followed by “advance” and then “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Once more, turn back to recovery mode menu.
- Select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the CM10.2 Android 4.3 firmware file and flash the ROM on your smartphone.
- In the end, return to main menu of recovery and select “reboot system now”.
Perfect; your work has been completed meaning that you have successfully applied the steps by step guide. Therefore, now you know how to update the Verizon LG G2 to Android 4.3 with CM10.2 custom ROM firmware. Do share your experience with us and after testing the new software share the results too; use the comments area from below if you have questions or if you just want to talk with our team or with other users.