The Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR CDMA has received the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update and now you can learn how to successfully install it manually using the instructions that I have listed in this post. This is a guide for users of Droid RAZR CDMA variant that didn’t receive the official OTA Update notification. Read the entire post and you should be able to flash all the required files in no time.
The Android 4.1.2 OTA update was rolled out on the 24th of December but, multiple users said that they received the alert and the download process stopped before completing. After that happened the download cannot be resumed and that is why I’ve created this post. Use all the info in this post to learn how to manually install this Android 4.1 firmware. This tutorial is possible only because of an XDA developer, DevAB.
Before starting the installation of this new Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware on your smartphone you will need to read the guidelines below:
- Install this update only on the Verizon CDMA variant of the Motorola Droid RAZR phone. Do not install this update on the GSM model of the same phone.
- Your device should have a microSD card installed on it. Without this you cannot install the update, as the internal storage space it doesn’t work with this guide.
- Stock ICS firmware is required. It doesn’t matter if the stock firmware is rooted. Do not use the files in this post if your device has any other modifications.
- Create backups of your most important data files.
- Sync your Contacts with the Gmail account you’ve assigned for your device.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t power off during the installation process.
- Note that this is a guide for advanced users and you shouldn’t attempt to use it in case you’re a novice.
- Read the entire tutorial and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed in this post.
I think that these were all the guidelines you had to go over before getting to the next part of this post.
How to install Official Android 4.1.2 Stock Jelly Bean Update on Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR CDMA:
- Download the Android 4.1.2 OTA Update zip file from HERE. Save the file on your computer.
- Use steps 2 and 3 only if you’re device is rooted. Download the OTA Root Keeper from Google Play Store HERE.
- Launch the application on your phone and then click the ‘Protect Root’ button. This will backup the root status of your device. When you’re done with this, click on ‘Temp Unroot’ in the OTA Rootkeeper option. This removes the Root before installing the new update. Get to the next step after you’ve unrooted the device with OTA Rootkeeper.
- Connect your Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR to your PC. Move the file downloaded at step 1 on its external microSD storage.
- Disconnect the phone from PC. Power off the phone after that.
- Boot your device into Stock recovery. Do it by pressing at the same time ‘volume up’, ‘volume down’ and ‘power’. Select Recovery when the screen powers ON and then you should see a green Android with a triangle. You need to press again ‘Volume up’ and ‘Volume down’ at the same time to boot the Stock Recovery.
- Select ‘wipe cache’ and confirm. Get to the next step.
- Select ‘Install zip from external SD card’. Then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the OTA Update zip file and confirm its installation.
- The installation will now begin and you might wait up to 10 minutes for it to complete. The Droid RAZR phone will reboot several times and when the update is installed successfully, the device will boot into normal mode.
These were all the steps you had to take if you’re device wasn’t rooted. In case your phone was rooted, then you will need to run again OTA RootKeeper app and then you have to retrieve the backup created at step 3. Now click the Restore Root option and that should be all.
These were all the instructions you had to follow. Test the new update and tell us in comments if you like the new ROM and its features.
In case you cannot complete the tutorial or you hit any roadblocks, then you will have to leave a detailed comment at the end of this article and we will try to come up with a solution to all of your problems.