As more and more Jelly Bean updates are being developed by third party devs for numerous Android based smartphones and tablets, the Samsung Fascinate couldn’t be left outside of this daily expanding list of devices. Therefore, thankfully to those of xda-developers, we are now able to update the Fascinate to Android 4.1 OS by installing the AOKP custom ROM firmware. You can do the same by following this step by step guide which will take you through the flashing procedure of the software. Of course you will have to complete the manual method, the OTA, or the KIES one being out of question.
But before starting the proper tutorial, you must first learn something about this new custom ROM and about the preparations tasks which must be completed for ensuring that nothing bad is happening with your phone. You have it all here, so just relax on your chair and make sure you are not skipping any section of the guide. Furthermore, don’t apply the update on handsets similar with the Samsung Fascinate as you will surely brick them. This process was designed and it’s suitable only for the already mentioned device, with model number SCH-I500 and it will not work for other Android powered smartphones.
Now, as you can already tell, the present update isn’t provided by Samsung so it’s not an official one. AOKP is a custom ROM firmware based on the Jelly Bean platform, so the Android 4.1 features will be included in the software. Beside the default features you will get new ones which are used for improving the performances of your Fascinate. In this way you will be able to customize and optimize the system for obtaining more speed, an improved battery life, better web browsing experience and personalized looks. Of course the classic Android interface will be replaced by the AOKP one, but this shouldn’t be something strange. Furthermore, the new themes and looks will be even better than the ones included in the default version of the Android platform.
If you want to update the Fascinate to AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROM, than you should know that the phone must be rooted. The update can’t be applied if your handset has a locked system with the factory restrictions installed so you must unchain the OS first. After that, go and install a custom recovery image, which will be used for the flashing operation and why not for the backup one. Only after completing these tasks you can return here and resume the next lines. Be aware though as after rooting the warranty will get void. In case you brick something there will be nobody to help you out. Therefore, for gaining root access follow a step by step guide like the present one and try not to mess things up.
Up next you should make a backup. Before installing the update you will have to wipe the data out from your Samsung Fascinate so it’s important to save your personal info first. The wipe will not affect the data which is stored on the SD card so you can safely leave it there. After dealing with the backup you must complete some preparation operations for your smartphone. Without taking care of the same you may risk in damaging Fascinate and I know you don’t want that to happen. In the list from below I have mentioned some backup tips for those interested along with the pre requisites, so go and check it out.
- Use a computer (you need to have access to a Windows running computer anyway) or a SD card for saving files from your handset.
- Download SMS backup and restore tools for saving the text messages.
- Download Call log backup and restore apps for Android.
- The contacts can be easily saved if you learn how to sync with Google.
- You can backup even the current ROM if your device has a custom recovery image installed.
- On both PC and smartphone deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection.
- On your Fascinate enable the USB debugging option.
- Charge the battery if there is less than 70% power left.
You can now head your attention towards the steps from below. You know everything about the AOKP custom ROM and your phone is prepared for the installation procedure. Pay attention to my indications and don’t do things by yourselves.
How to Update Verizon Samsung Fascinate to AOKP Jelly Bean Custom ROM
- First you must download the update file and Google apps for your Fascinate.
- For the update the download link is here.
- For Google Apps go here.
- Save both on your computer.
- Then, take your phone and connect it with the PC by using its USB cord.
- Copy the downloaded files from the PC to your phone’s SD card.
- Remember where you place the files.
- Disconnect the device and turn it off.
- Reboot in recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up and Volume Down buttons while powering on.
- From recovery first perform a wipe: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then return to the recovery menu and select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file first and then the Google Apps one.
- If the phone reboots in recovery in the middle of the installation process don’t get scared as it is normal.
- If the handset gets stuck redo the last step (the flashing one).
- If the device gets stuck at the boot animation after rebooting, just remove the battery re-insert it, boot into recovery, and then repeat the flashing step.
- In the end, when installation operation is over select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
There you have it; that was the how to procedure in which you learned how to update your Verizon Samsung Fascinate to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean by installing the AOKP custom ROM firmware into its system. If there were problems while trying to apply the steps share the issues with us and we will do our best for helping you out. Then, test the new ROM and tell us how you find it or if there are bugs or things that aren’t working properly. We will update you with new tutorials as soon as something fresh comes out.