Verizon variant of Samsung Galaxy Nexus can now be updated to Android 4.1.1 using a custom ROM named Codename Android JB. Use all the instructions in this post and you should be able to flash the new files easily. Make sure that you’re an advanced Android user and that you know what you’re doing.
The custom ROM is based on Android 4.1.1 and it has been created by CodenameDroid, an XDA developer. It comes will all the Android 4.1 features and besides this it comprises the CyanogenMod functions, BusyBox, SuperSU, nano, bash and many many other elements that should make it a great ROM for your Nexus I515 device.
If you want to correctly update your device, then you should read the guidelines below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Verizon variant of Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It should be the I515 model version. If this is not your phone then you shouldn’t attempt to use this tutorial.
- Your device should on an unlocked bootloader, it should be rooted and it needs to run CWM Recovery. You can do all these actions using our article here. Use the instructions for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone.
- Create a full ROM backup of your currently installed OS. This will act as a restore point for your device. In case the new ROM doesn’t boot then you can use the CWM recovery mode to restore the backup.
- This is a guide for advanced users.
- If you want to backup a list of apps, the SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings. You can use these tools to create such backups: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that some of them will ask for root access. Grant it.
- Sync your Contacts with your own Gmail account, so that you will be able to restore all the phone numbers that are stored on your device.
- Enable USB debugging on your smartphone.
- Remember to charge the Verizon Galaxy Nexus battery so that it won’t power off during the update.
- Do not skip any of the steps listed in the ‘how-to guide’. If you are unable to complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, move to the tutorial and learn how to update your smartphone with a new custom Jelly Bean OS.
How to install the Codename Android JB custom ROM for Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE.
- Get the Gapps file for Android 4.1 from HERE. Don’t extract neither zip files. Leave them on your PC desktop.
- Next, connect your phone to computer. Move the files above on to your phone’s internal SDcard. When the files are transferred you should disconnect the smartphone from your PC.
- Power OFF your smartphone now and boot it into CWM recovery. It can be done by pressing ‘volume down’, ‘volume up’ and ‘power’ buttons. This will boot the Fastboot Mode and then you have to select the ‘recovery mode’ option. Confirm.
- If you didn’t make a ROM NANDROID backup of your current OS, then you should use the ‘backup and restore’ option to make one. If you already have such backup file then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then confirm.
- Select ‘Fix Permissions’ and confirm.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Codename Android 4.1.1 custom ROM zip file and install it.
- Repeat step 8 and install the ‘Gapps’ zip. After both the ROM and the Google Apps files have been installed you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Your Verizon Galaxy Nexus is now restarting and it will start its first boot process with the new ROM. NOTE: This will take at least 5 minutes to complete and the only thing you can do is to wait. When the boot is complete you will be shown the home screen of your new ROM.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your phone once again.
- That’s it, now you can test the new firmware. Tell us in comments if you find any errors with it.
These were all the steps that you had to take. In case you have problems installing the Codename Android JB custom ROM on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus device, then you should ask for extra help by leaving a detailed comment at the end of this post.
NOTE: In case the new custom ROM isn’t installed successfully, power off the smartphone, remove its battery, re-insert it after 5 seconds have passed, and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. You should manage to complete the install the second time.