Update Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using CM 10.1 RC2 ROM
CyanogenMod team has finished work on their second Release Candidate build of their CM 10.1 ROMs, which means that now you can download the corresponding build for your Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone. Read all the info in this post and you should be able to successfully upgrade your device.
In order to make sure that you successfully install the new ROM, you will first need to read the preparation guide below. You’ll learn how to properly backup some of your most important files and what you should do so that you will install CM 10.1 RC2 ROM on your Galaxy Nexus VZW at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- use this guide only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone. Don’t try to flash the files you find here on any other Android device.
- the VZW Galaxy Nexus should be on an unlocked bootloader, it has to be fully rooted and running a custom Recovery image. I’ve used the CWM Recovery for this post, but you can also use the TWRP Recovery in case you have that one installed on your device.
- use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of the current OS. This will set a restore point for your device that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot successfully.
- backup SMS, Call Logs or the APN Internet Settings using the following apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these apps.
- you should sync the Contacts data with your Gmail account, so that you won’t lose any of your saved phone numbers in the process.
- the tutorial contains a steps that requires you to ‘factory reset’ the device, which means that you will lose only the data from the system partition. All installed apps will be removed, so it would be best for you to find an app backup tool and save some of your favorite apps’ data.
- enable USB debugging option from the Android Developer Options.
- make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left in it before the device powers off completely.
- don’t blame us in case something goes wrong making you lose data or bricking the device.
- read the entire tutorial first and don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below.
- if you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for more help in comments.
NOTE: If your Verizon Galaxy Nexus device is already running on a previous build of CM 10.1, then you shouldn’t ‘factory reset’ the device as you can ‘dirty flash’ the CM 10.1.0 RC2 build over the previous CyanogenMod ROM. However, in case the phone doesn’t boot with the new OS, then you will be forced to return to the ‘factory reset’ step and apply it for the device to boot into normal mode.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before moving to the interesting part of this article.
How to install CM 10.1 RC2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- Download the CM 10.1.0 RC2 zip file from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t unzip it.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean-based ROMs from HERE. Don’t extract the contents and save it on your computer.
- Connect the phone to PC via USB cable. Move both downloaded files in steps 1 and 2 onto your smartphone’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the VZW Galaxy Nexus from your PC after the files are copied.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot it into Fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously.
- From the Fastboot Mode select ‘RECOVERY’ option and press Power to boot your device in CWM Recovery mode.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option from the main Recovery mode menu. Create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM and save it on your device’s internal SDcard. You can use this file in case the new OS doesn’t boot.
- Next, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm. NOTE: if your phone is currently running on a previous build of CM 10.1 , then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1.0 RC2 zip and confirm that you wish to install it. This process shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes.
- Now that the ROM is installed, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then find the Gapps file. Confirm its installation.
- When both files have been successfully installed, you have to return to the main CWM recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’. The first boot process with this new ROM shouldn’t take longer than 5-7 minutes and you will see the home screen of CyanogenMod 10.1 Jelly Bean OS.
- Enter your Google Account details for you to take control over all functions of your device.
- Test all the new features and services.
If the first boot process doesn’t complete, then you will be forced to power off the device completely. After that you should repeat the entire tutorial once again, this time you have to make sure that the actions listed under step 8 are applied before installing the new ROM. Usually, custom ROMs might not install at the first attempt, which why you need to keep trying several times until the phone boots into normal mode.
Test all the new features of CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM and make sure to customize all its parts so that you will get the best out of your Verizon Galaxy Nexus device.
In case you don’t like this new OS, then you will have to use again the CWM Recovery mode and restore your phone to its previous ROM.
These were all the instructions that you had to follow in order to successfully flash a new custom ROM for your Galaxy Nexus Verizon phone. If you have any other questions, then you should post them in the comments field below. If you cannot complete the installation and you look for help, then you should leave a detailed comment below so that we can be able to offer the best solution for your problems.