Update Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus to CM10 Unofficial Jelly Bean 4.1
The Verizon variant of Galaxy Nexus has just received an unofficial ROM based on CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean 4.1 and now you can use the instructions in this post and learn how to update yours. This tutorial is destined to be used on the Verizon model of GNex and it won’t work with any other model numbers and devices.
This is a ROM that has been bundled by XDA Senior Member ‘wineroo’ and it cannot be considered an official release as it wasn’t launched by the CyanogenMod team and it is a custom firmware. It is currently in its beta stage and it might be buggy and errors might be found while using it. That is why you should use it only if you’re curious to see what new features and to test its performances.
Before we can begin to update the Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone, you should read the pre-requisites guide and you will find the steps required to take and make sure that you’re device is ready. Here’s what you need to know:
- this guide is compatible only with the Verizon variant of Galaxy Nexus and you shouldn’t attempt to install the preview CM10 ROM on any other smartphone.
- to install this new custom ROM, you will be asked in the tutorial to wipe data and factory reset. This means that you’ll lose the applications and some other files. Move all important stuff on your device’s internal SDcard, as this one will be left unchanged.
- this CM10 ROM is a preview build and it might be filled with bugs and this means that you will have to create a full backup of the existing ROM. This backup can then be used and restored in case you don’t like how is the CM10 Jelly Bean custom ROM performing for your phone.
- If you want to backup apps, SMS, APN Settings and the Call logs info, then you should use these tools and you will save all that info in no time: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Save the phone numbers by syncing them with your Gmail account.
- Your phone be on an unlocked bootloader, but note that this means that yours ins’t then this process will erase all files.
- Also, your Verizon Galaxy Nexus has to be rooted and running CWM Recovery or TWRP Recovery.
- Charge the device’s battery until it goes over 70% and that will prevent it from powering down while you’re installing the new ROM.
- Enable USB debugging mode option from the GNex’ settings menu.
- Install this new preview ROM of CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1 only if you’re an advanced Android user as this isn’t an installation for your daily use as not all features have been optimized and some bugs might be found in it.
- Remember that we cannot be held responsible in case your device gets damaged in the process or something else goes wrong. Use the comments section to ask for help in case you cannot complete the update.
Now that you know all of the above, you should move to the tutorial guide and learn how to successfully install this new CM10 unofficial ROM. Apply only the steps I have listed and in case you get stuck, then leave your comment at the end of this post.
Install CM10 Unofficial Jelly Bean 4.1.x ROM on Verizon Galaxy Nexus
- Download the CM10 preview ROM zip file HERE and after the download is complete you should move the file on your computer’s desktop menu. Do not extract the zip contents.
- Download the GApps file for Jelly Bean from HERE. Do not unzip the archive. This file contains the Play Store, Google Now and all other Google-based tools that you need to install on your phone and gain control over its functions.
- Connect the smartphone to your PC and then move the files downloaded at step 1 and 2 on its internal SD card. After that you should disconnect it and power it OFF.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode by holding simultaneously ‘power’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘volume up’ buttons. This will load firstly into Fastboot mode and you should select ‘RECOVERY’ option and confirm. ClcokworkMod Recovery will load now.
- When you’re in CWM Recovery mode you first need to select ‘Backup and restore’ and then ‘backup’ to create a full Nandroid backup of the currently installed GNex ROM. If you already made a backup before moving to the tutorial, then you should skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and then confirm this process. When it’s done you should continue with the rest of the CM10 preview ROM installation.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Next, find the CM10 custom ROM zip file and install it.
- When the ROM was installed you should repeat step 7 to install the GApps zip file. After this one is installed you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Choose ‘reboot system now’ and wait until your Galaxy Nexus Verizon finishes the first boot of the new ROM. Note that this process will take at least 7 minutes to complete and you should wait then. In case the phone gets into a boot loop or it cannot go past the boot logo and it got stuck, then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial.
- If every step was applied correctly and successfully, then you should enter your Gmail account details and that would be all. Now test the performances of your Verizon Galaxy Nexus running the new CM10 unofficial Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM.
If you have any extra questions, then you should post in comments. I hope that this guide helped you install this new firmware and that now you are testing all new Jelly Bean and CM10 features and services.