AOKP reached its Jelly Bean Build 3 and now it is available for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515. You can successfully install this custom ROM on your Gnex Verizon smartphone if you carefully read this entire post and apply all the steps that I have listed. Note that this tutorial will not work for the International Galaxy Nexus phone.
The Build 3 of AOKP comes with SMS QuickReply, Expert Calculator tools like Matrices, Graph and others, IME Switcher and Vib Ring toggle. The Clock app received the stopwatch and countdown functions. There are multiple other improvements and tweaks that were added in this release and you should test the ROM and find them. If you wish to correctly flash this ROM, you will first need to read the guidelines listed in the preparation guide.
It is based on Google’s latest Android 4.1.1 release and it is an official Build of the AOKP custom ROM. It is only build 3 and this means that you might find some other errors and bugs, since the custom ROM is still in development and not all things were fixed and optimized. However, to improve the quality of their releases, the AOKP members decided to test intensively all new builds before releasing them for download. These releases are usually announced on every Thursday and you should check back to our website and see if the article was updated or a brand new post was made, as this will help keep your device updated at all times.
Now that you know all this general info listed above, you should move to the pre-requisites guide and learn how to properly configure your device so that you’ll manage to successfully install AOKP build 3 without too much problems.
- This tutorial will work only with the Verizon variant of Galaxy Nexus I515. Check your phone’s model number by opening Settings and then ‘About device’ menu. If your device doesn’t correspond then you should skip this tutorial and use our search function to find the correct one.
- The Verizon Galaxy Nexus bootloader has to be unlocked.
- For the AOKP Jelly Bean Build 3 ROM to install, your phone should be rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP.
- You should move all your important files on your phone’s internal SD card or, alternatively, you can move them on your PC via USB cable. This step will protect all your data and you won’t risk losing any important files in the updating process.
- Save a list of installed apps, backup SMS, Call Logs details and the APN Internet Settings with these utilities: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that some of these apps will work only with rooted devices.
- Use Gmail account to sync your Phone Contacts.
- Charge your phone’s battery until it reaches at least 60% power, so that it won’t switch off while you’re installing the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM.
- Enable USB debugging option from your phone’s Android Development menu.
- Apply the steps listed here only if you know what you’re doing. Do not use this guide if you’re an advanced user as you might brick your device in the process.
- Please note that we won’t be held responsible in case you damage your phone or you lose any important files in the process. That’s why you should use CWM / TWRP recovery mode or ROM Manager and create a backup of the existing ROM. This backup file will prove to be helpful in case you won’t like the new AOKP build 3 or in case some apps wont’ work correctly.
- Before starting to apply the steps in the ‘how-to’ section of our post, you should read the entire post.
These are all the instructions that you had to read before beginning to flash this new custom ROM on your Verizon Gnex device. If you cannot complete the installation, you should ask for help in comments. Remember that this ROM will not install correctly if you skip any steps listed below.
How to update Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515 to AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Build 3 custom ROM
- Download the AOKP JB Build 3 ROM from HERE. Don’t extract the files, just leave the file on your PC desktop screen.
- Download Gapps for Jelly Bean zip file HERE. Make sure that you download the one for Jelly Bean and not the ones for previous Android OS releases. Don’t extract its contents.
- Use the USB cable and connect your phone to your PC. Move the files downloaded at steps 1 and 2 on the Galaxy Nexus internal SD card. After the files are copied you should unplug the phone from PC and then power it OFF.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. Do it by pressing ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons at the same time. The Fastboot menu will load and you should select ‘RECOVERY’ option. Confirm and your device will boot into custom recovery mode.
- In CWM Recovery you can create a full backup of the existing ROM. Do it by selecting ‘backup and restore’ option. If you already have such backup created, skip this step and continue with the rest of the installation process.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm. The contents of the internal sd card will not be deleted by this step.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Browse for the AOKP JB Build 3 zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- After the ROM is installed you should flash the Gapps zip. Select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then find Gapps.zip and install it.
- When you successfully install both these files, you should return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’. Wait for the AOKP JB first boot process to load all files. Note that this might take about 5 minutes and you should allow the device to complete this process. In case the device is not able to boot, then you should power it OFF and then repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4.
- If the AOKP JB Build 3 files were installed successfully, you should see the Jelly Bean home screen. Enter your Google profile credentials and that should do it, your Galaxy Nexus Verizon was updated successfully.
These are all the steps that you had to take and now your device should be running the latest AOKP release. If you have any troubles with this ROM then you can always use the ROM backup created before installing AOKP build 3, and restore your device to the previous installment.
In case you cannot complete the AOKP JB Build 3 installation, then you should use our comments field and ask for more help. Also, post all errors and bugs you find on this new Android Open Kang Project release.