The Official build for CM 10.2 Nightly ROM is now live and you can use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully install it on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone. Read this entire post and you will manage to flash all the required files in no time without bricking the device.
The CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightlies are some of the first builds created by the CM team that are based on the AOSP Android 4.3 operating system. You can learn how to flash the latest build by reading this post.
This new build of CM 10.2 is in its testing phase and you might find some errors or bugs after installing it on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus, which is why you have to create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device. More info about this can be found in the preparation guide below:
- This tutorial works only for the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Do not attempt to install the files you find here on any other Android devices.
- Your phone has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as the CWM or TWRP ones. Both of them will work with this tutorial.
- In the ‘how-to’ section you will find the ‘factory reset’ step and you should know that it will delete all contents from the system partition. So, all installed apps data, contacts, SMS, Call Logs info and other similar files will be completely removed.
> In case your device already runs on a previous CM 10.2 Nightly official ROM released by the CyanogenMod team then you can choose to skip the ‘factory reset’.
- If you’re planning on backing up data from installed applications, then you should use the Helium app from Google Play Store or the Titanium Backup tool, but note that the Titanium Backup might not work too well for CM 10.2 ROMs.
- In order to save data such as SMS text messages, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings, then you should use the following apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. You will be forced to grant root access for some of these tools.
- Sync the Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options. If the Android Developer Options menu is not shown in Settings, then you need to go to About Phone section, then scroll down and tap seven times on the Build Number menu. It will enable the developer options for your Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
- Check the power level of the phone’s battery and make sure that it is over 50% so that your smartphone won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- Read this entire post and make sure not to skip any steps that I have listed below.
- This is a tutorial for more advanced users, do not blame us if you brick the phone or you lose any important data in the process.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before continuing to the Custom ROM installation part of this post. If you have any problems completing the installation, then you can always use the comments section to ask for our help.
How to flash Official CM 10.2 Nightly ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- Download the CM 10.2 Nightly zip from here.
– get the latest version and not some older one. Usually the latest builds are released with fewer bugs and better stability.
– do not unzip the file and continue to the next step.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
– do not extract the contents of this zip.
– this is the file that you had to install in order to get all the Google-based applications on your device.
- Use the USB Data cable and connect your VZW Galaxy Nexus with your PC.
- Move both CM 10.2 Nightly and Gapps files to your phone’s internal SDcard. After the files are copied, disconnect the smartphone from your PC.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot the phone into bootloader mode and then into CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode.
– both custom recovery images will work with this guide.
- When you’re at the main Custom Recovery mode menu you will need to create a NANDROID Backup of your current ROM:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’. Use the Backup option and confirm the process.
– TWRP Recovery: press Backup. Set the system files for backup process and then confirm.
> this file can be used in case the new CM 10.2 Nightly ROM doesn’t boot or in case you simply don’t like it and you might wish to restore your device to its former ROM.
- Next, apply ‘factory reset':
– CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then press Factory Reset. Confirm the process.
> note: if your device already runs on a previous CM 10.2 Nightly ROM, then you can skip this step and overwrite the ROM with the new build. But, in case you do skip the factory reset and your phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM, then you will have to return to this post and apply ‘factory reset’ eventually.
- Now that you’ve completed all of the above you can start installing the new CM 10.2 Nightly ROM on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly file and confirm.
– TWRP Recovery: press Install, then you will have to browse your phone’s internal storage for the CM 10.2 Nightly zip. Confirm that you want to install by sliding the blue button shown at the bottom of the screen.
- After the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM is successfully installed you will need to install Gapps too. Use the same actions as in step 9.
- When both files are installed, return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now into normal mode.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen of CM 10.2 Nightly appears.
The installation of CM 10.2 Nightly ROM on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone has been completed and now you’re free to test all of its new features. If you cannot complete the installation, then you can repeat the entire tutorial once again or ask for more help in comments.
If you wish to return to your previously installed ROM, then you can easily do it by using CWM / TWRP Recovery and the NANDROID backup file created in step 7.