The launch of Android 4.2 happened at the same time as the launch of Nexus 4, 7 and 10 devices. Now it seems like a build of Android 4.2 Jelly Bean has been included into a custom ROM by Grouper, an XDA forum member, and it is called the Pure Android 4.2 custom ROM.
Use this tutorial to learn how to successfully flash all the files and get the latest Android OS on your smartphone. This is the first version of Jelly Bean 4.2 for Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone and in order to install it at your first attempt, read the preparation guide. Here’s what you need to know before starting the installation process:
- This release of Pure Android 4.2 is stock AOSP without any changes or modifications besides the Root and some Verizon files that you need for your device to work as you would expect it to.
- Flash the custom ROM only on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone. Do not attempt to install this on any other smartphone as you will end up bricking them.
- There are several bugs present in this custom ROM such as the: T-CDMA 64 is listed instead of the Verizon Wireless carrier, it cannot restore applications and saved WiFi passcodes from your Google account. If you find any other bugs please use the comments field and report them.
- Your device should be on an Unlocked Bootloader. This post here contains info on how to unlock yours or, you can totally skip this step if your device is unlocked. Also, the CWM Recovery should be installed on your Galaxy Nexus Verizon.
- Backup all your important data that’s stored on your device. The apps, sms and other data stored on the /system partition will be deleted in the updating process.
- It is recommended for you to create a full Nandroid backup using CWM recovery or any other custom recovery image. This file will be extremely useful in case your device doesn’t boot into Pure Android 4.2 custom ROM as you can restore it easily using the same tool you’ve used to create it.
- Sync your contacts with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging option and make sure that your device’s battery power levels are over 50% so that it won’t power off before you manage to install the update.
- Use this guide if you’re an advanced user and not a novice. You can’t held us responsible in case something goes wrong and you cannot use your device after installing this custom ROM.
- Make sure that you don’t skip any of the steps listed in the tutorial, as that will result in a failed installation of this new ROM. In case you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more instructions in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, move to the tutorial and learn how to flash the custom ROM.
How to update Verizon Galaxy Nexus with Pure Android 4.2 Custom ROM:
- Get the Pure Android 4.2 custom ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2 from HERE. Proceed just like you did at step 1.
- Now you have to connect your smartphone to your PC via USB Cable. Move the files downloaded at the steps above on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus internal sd card. When the files are successfully copied you can disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your phone and then boot it into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing at the same time these buttons: volume up, volume down and power. This will load Fastboot mode and then you need to select ‘Recovery mode’ option.
- When you’re at the main menu of CWM Recovery you can choose to create a Nandroid backup of the currently installed ROM. If you already have made such file then you can skip this step.
- First thing that you need to do is to select ‘Wipe data/ factory reset’ from the CWM Recovery options. Confirm and wait until this is complete.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Pure Android 4.2 ROM zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the ROM is installed you need to repeat step 7 and install the ‘GApps for Android 4.2′ zip. Confirm this and when it’s done you should return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the first boot process of Pure Android custom ROM is complete. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
- Enter your Google Account credentials and take full control over your Verizon Galaxy Nexus once again. Test the ROM and tell us in comments if you like it or not.
NOTE: If you don’t like this new custom ROM, then you should restore the backup of the previously installed one.
In case you cannot complete the install at your first attempt, then you should retry to apply all tutorial steps again and eventually the update should be completed. If you have any other questions or you’ve stumbled upon any other roadblocks, then you should ask for more help in comments or you can check the info listed on this thread at XDA.