The official Android 4.4.2 KitKat update has arrived on the Verizon Note 2 devices in the U.S. and you can use this post to manually apply it.
This is a tutorial that should be used by those Note 2 VZW users who are still waiting for the official OTA notification update to arrive on their devices. If you want to learn more about the changes added by this update, then you can take a look at our news article.
Before starting the updating process you should take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 model number SCH – I605.
- check your device’s model number in Settings> More> About Phone.
- if the SCH – I605 model number is not listed, then you shouldn’t use this post to apply the update.
- do not try to flash the firmware files you find in this post on any other Android devices, as you will end up bricking them.
- install the Samsung USB Drivers on your PC before starting the updating process.
- make sure to have the USB Debugging enabled in your phone’s Developer Options section.
- if Developer Options doesn’t appear in Settings menu, then you will first have to enable this setting first -> that’s a guide for Galaxy S5, but it works with all Samsung devices.
- disable all antivirus apps and the Samsung KIES software if you have it installed on your computer.
- these programs might interfere with the Odin tool that you will have to use in order to update your phone.
- rooted Verizon Galaxy Note 2 phones will have root access revoked by the installation of a stock ROM.
- if your phone has a custom Recovery installed, then you need to know that it will be replaced by a stock Recovery in the process.
- if your Note 2 Verizon device has a custom ROM installed on it, then the update will remove all data from system partition.
- additionally you will be forced to apply an extra step to apply ‘factory reset’ after the update is installed, this steps is listed at the end of the post.
- if you want to save some data from installed applications, SMS text messages or any similar files then you can use Helium for Android.
- make sure to sync Contacts and People info with your default Gmail account.
- check the battery power of your device and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the installation.
- don’t blame us in case you brick your phone nor in case you lose any sensible data.
- read the whole guide, don’t skip any steps and you should be fine.
Now that you know all that you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install VRUFND7 Android 4.4.2 KK Update for Verizon Galaxy Note 2:
- Download the I605VRUFND7 firmware zip from SamMobile.
- note that you have to create an account at their website if you want to apply the update.
- Extract the contents of the firmware zip on your computer.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 zip file and save it on your PC.
- extract the contents of this zip and place them all in a single folder.
- Power off the phone now completely.
- Next you will need to boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin3 v3.09 exe on your PC.
- Connect the Verizon Note 2 to computer via USB Cable.
- wait for Odin to detect the device and continue to the next step after that.
- if the phone is not recognized then you should re-install the Samsung USB drivers.
- We will now begin the updating steps. Click on Odin’s ‘AP’ button tab.
- Load the I605VRUFND7 tar.md5 file in Odin.
- that’s the file extracted in step 2.
- make sure that the ‘Re-partition’ option is disabled in Odin.
- don’t change other default Odin settings.
- Press START when you’re ready for the installation process to begin.
- note that the update should take at least ten minutes in order to flash all the new firmware files.
- don’t press any buttons until the installation is complete.
- After the Android 4.4.2 VRUFND7 update is installed you will see Odin confirming that the process was passed and your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 will reboot in normal mode.
- the reboot will take some time before it loads all the new files and optimizes all the apps.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your device once again.
These were the steps that you had to follow in order to successfully update your Galaxy Note 2 Verizon to official Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
If the update has failed or you’ve encountered any problems during update, then you should read the extra info below. Close the article if the update was completed with success.
In case Odin app says ‘FAIL’, it freezes or it doesn’t apply the update for any reason, then you will be forced to try and repeat the entire tutorial more than once.
Make sure to apply all the steps and that your Verizon Note 2 meets all the requirements listed in the ‘preparation’ guide. Use the comments field if you need more help.
If Odin confirms that the update was applied with the ‘PASS’ alert, but your Verizon Note 2 isn’t able to boot in normal mode even after 20 minutes or, it enters into a boot loop, then you will have to apply a Factory Reset.
The Factory Reset process is also recommended for Note 2 users who were running a custom ROM on their devices before starting the update. Here’s how to apply “Factory Reset” process:
- switch off the smartphone completely.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- use the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm process.
- reboot device in normal mode.
After that your Galaxy Note 2 Verizon device will reboot in normal mode and you can use your Google Account info in order to take control over its new firmware.