Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 is now ready to be updated to Android 4.4.2 via a custom ROM, the Carbon KitKat Nightly builds. Use all the info that I’ve listed in this post and you should be able to complete the installation in less than ten minutes.
Carbon KitKat Nightlies are based on Android 4.4.2 AOSP, Paranoid Android, CyanogenMod 11 and AOKP custom ROMs. If you want to learn more about CarbonROM work you can check their blog page here.
Before starting the installation of this new ROM you should read the preparation info below:
- Use this post only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.
- don’t update any other Galaxy S3 models with the files that you will find in the tutorial.
- Your VZW Galaxy S3 has to be rooted and running the latest custom Recovery image.
- both CWM and TWRP Recovery versions will work with this post as long as you make sure that the latest version is installed on your device.
- if the custom Recovery is not updated to its latest version, then you won’t be able to flash this KitKat ROM.
- In the tutorial you will find the Create a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM step, do not skip it.
- it will set a restore point for the phone, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- The tutorial also will tell you to Factory Reset the device, so you shouldn’t skip this step either.
- the Factory Reset process will wipe all data from your device’s system partition, but it will leave the internal / external sdcards unaffected.
- Backup data from applications that are installed on your device using Helium for Android.
- this app can be used to backup SMS text messages, too.
- Sync all your Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- guide here.
- The phone’s battery of your device should say that there is at least 50% left before your phone switches off completely.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps.
- This is a guide for advanced users that want to tinker with their phone’s operating system.
- Do not blame us in case something goes wrong and you cannot complete the tutorial.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the tutorial.
How to flash CarbonROM KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly for Verizon Galaxy S3:
- Download the latest build of this ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer, then move both zip files to its internal storage.
- after the files are copied you can disconnect the Verizon Galaxy S3 from your PC.
> do not unzip the files.
- Power off your device and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- you can find info on how to boot recovery mode here.
- Create a NANDROID ROM Backup for the installed OS:
- select the ‘backup and restore’ option, confirm the process.
- Factory Reset your device:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- Now you can flash the brand new CarbonROM KK Nightly:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the ROM zip file and confirm the flashing process.
- After the ROM is installed you need to use the step 7 actions and flash Gapps zip.
- When all the files are installed successfully you can return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
- note: the first boot process takes a while to complete, so you should wait until the homescreen appears.
- Enter your Google Account info when the home screen of your new ROM appears.
That’s it, you’ve managed to install a custom KitKat ROM on your Verizon Galaxy S3. If you need any extra help, then you should post in the comments field below.
Note that in case the new ROM doesn’t boot after installation, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that you will successfully apply the Factory Reset step. Also, you might want to apply the ‘Format /System’ action too.
If you don’t like the new ROM, then you can always restore your device to its previous OS using the Backup file created in step 5.