Update Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 I535 with Official CM10-M2 Jelly Bean build
The update of CM10 M2 has been released and it is based on the Android 4.1.2 and you should use the instructions in this post to learn how to manually flash this custom ROM on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 I535 smartphone.
The CyanogenMod 10-M2 is the second release of the M-build, which brings a more stable version that will bring several improvements to your device so that you will get the best possible Android Jelly Bean experience. The 4.1.2 Firmware of Jelly Bean doesn’t feature too many new functions and it mainly an update that will fix several bugs from previous updates and some new tweaks were added.
Before beginning to install this update, you should first read the instructions below and learn how to properly configure your Verizon device so that you will manage to flash the custom ROM at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- The files in this post will work only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I535. Check this info by opening ‘About device’ menu in the Settings app. If your device model number doesn’t correspond with the one I’ve listed then you should skip this step.
- The bootloader of your device should be unlocked. ( Guide here ).
- Your phone has to be rooted and running the CWM Recovery image. Without these requirements being met, you won’t be able to flash the new CM10 update files.
- Use the ClockworkMod Recovery or the ROM Manager app to create a NANDROID backup of your existing ROM. This file will be useful in case you don’t like the new update or the files aren’t flashed correctly.
- If you’re coming from a previous release of CM10, then you will not need to apply the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ step in the tutorial. Simply apply the ‘wipe cache’ and the ‘wipe dalvik cache’ from Advanced CWM Recovery options. If you’re currently using another ROM then you should wipe the data and factory reset the device.
- Wiping data / factory reset step will delete all installed apps, SMS, Call Logs and maybe other things from your device, which is why you should use the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack backup tool for Android apps. Note that the apps will be saved as a list and this means that you won’t backup their entire files.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account.
- This is not an official Samsung update but, a custom ROM that has been created by CyanogenMod Team. Do not blame us nor the developers in case you brick your phone in the process.
- Only advanced Android users should try to flash such files on their devices.
- Remember to charge your phone’s battery so that the SGS3 Verizon will not power off while you’re trying to install the new ROM.
I think that these are all the guidelines you had to read before moving to the tutorial. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps listed below. Use the comments field to post any extra questions.
How to update Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 I535 with CM10-M2 Android 4.1.2 custom ROM:
- Download the ROM zip from HERE. Save the file on your PC and do not extract its contents. Get the latest version of CM10 M build.
- Download the Gapps for Jelly Bean file from HERE. Get the variant for Jelly Bean and not some other file for ICS or Gingerbread. Save the file on your PC.
- Connect your Verizon SGS3 to your PC and then move the files downloaded at the steps above on its internal SD card. When the transfer is complete you can disconnect the phone from your PC.
- Power off your phone. Boot it into ClockworkMod Recovery. It can be done if you press simultaneously the ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release them when the screen powers ON.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this process. When the factory reset action is complete, move to the next step. Note that this will remove all installed apps, SMS and other files from your system’s partition. The internal SD card will not be deleted, which means that your photos, videos etc are safe from deletion.
- If you already have a CM10 based ROM running on your phone, then you should skip step 5 and only apply ‘wipe cache’ option after you complete step 7. Also, remember to ‘wipe dalvik cache’, which can be found in the ‘advanced’ menu.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM10-M2 custom ROM zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- Now select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and install the Gapps for Jelly Bean file. When both the ROM and Google Apps files are installed, you should return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the phone to complete its first boot with this new ROM.
- This process shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes. When the first boot process is complete you will see the CM10 Jelly Bean homescreen and now you can take control over your phone again.
- Test the new ROM and tell us in comments the errors / bugs you find in it. Hopefully there won’t be too many.
NOTE: In case the first boot process takes too long to complete or the phone gets into a boot loop, then it means that you didn’t install correctly the new ROM. Repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4 and this time make sure that you apply step 5 and wipe data/ factory reset the phone. You should be able to flash the new custom ROM this time and everything will work.
If you have any other problems in updating your device, then you should leave a comment at the end of this post.