I have great news for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, version number P6810, users as an ICS 4.0.4 update has just been leaked for their Android powered tablets. This software isn’t provided by Samsung, though it was officially released for some markets only; the update will not go worldwide, so if you want to get the same you will have to manually apply the firmware. That’s exactly what I will be teaching you today, the manual procedure for installing the ICS 4.0.4 OS on a WiFi Galaxy Tab 7.7, so you are in the right place.
This is not a custom ROM, meaning that you don’t need to previously root your device for being able to update its system. Furthermore, in case the Tab is running a beta or custom firmware, now you will be able to restore the warranty by applying the factory restrictions and the default variant of the ICS platform. You will get the classic Android interface along with the stock features, the rest being removed. If the Galaxy Tab is rooted, by applying this step by step guide the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked. You will be able to re-root the system by completing a suitable guide that can be performed on the new OS.
We will be coming with the same in the coming days, so stay close. Also, a Jelly Bean update (beta one) is being expected for the Galaxy Tab devices and we will provide the installation procedure as soon as the firmware gets leaked. Anyway, until then, this ICS 4.0.4 upgrade should do just fine as all the features that comes with the same will easily optimize and power up the performances of your Samsung tablet. Furthermore, this is the most stable version of the present OS, the reported bugs and issues being resolved and removed.
Even though, the ROM was officially released in some countries, you will still have to make a backup first. For flashing the update file we will use Odin and also you will have to make a full wipe of the system. In this way, the data which is saved on your WiFi Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6810 might get wiped out or corrupted. Therefore, a backup is more than recommended. For learning how to backup the contacts, messages, call logs, market apps, internet saves and more you can search for suitable guides through our how to section. You can find all the info needed there, along with proper tips, so don’t hesitate and deal with the backup before resuming the rest of this tutorial.
On the other hand, you must complete some preparation operations. If not, you will not be able to safely update your Galaxy Tab to ICS 4.0.4. Also, if you are doing things by yourselves than you can easily brick your tablet. Anyway, let’s see the pre requisites:
- Make sure you have access to a Windows running computer, to the table and to its USB cord.
- On the device and on the PC there shouldn’t run any kind of security programs (Firewall included).
- Charge the Galaxy Tab, or ensure that there is enough battery power left (more than 60%).
- Enable the USB debugging option from its settings.
- Don’t forget to backup the data.
Now you can begin the guide from which you can learn how to use Odin for updating the Galaxy Tab. Take note that the procedure will work only for the WiFi Galaxy Tab model number P6810; don’t apply the same for similar devices as you can damage the OS.
How to Update WiFi Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6810 to ICS 4.0.4 Firmware
- Download the ROM file from here.
- Download Odin.
- Place the files to your computer.
- Extract Odin and then run it.
- Extract the update file.
- Turn off the Tab.
- Reboot while entering in download mode: press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons.
- In download mode connect the tablet with the computer by using the USB cable.
- As soon as you connect it, on Odin the ID:COM section should turn yellow.
- If not, re-install the USB drivers and try again.
- Then, from Odin select “PDA”.
- From there choose and pick the ROM file downloaded in step 1.
- Click on “start”.
- Wait until the process ends.
- In the end the “pass” message should be displayed on Odin.
- Disconnect the device from the computer.
- If something isn’t working as it should, reboot and enter in recovery mode.
- From recovery mode select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, now your WiFi Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6810 is running the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 update. Remember that if your tablet was rooted now the root access is revoked. The best part is that the warranty is regained, so you will not have to make a downgrade operation for obtaining the same result (that if your device were running a beta ROM). Stay close for further guides suitable for your Galaxy Tab and feel free to share your opinions and impressions with us.