After installing the stock Android 4.1.2 JB 6.2.B.0.211 firmware on the Xperia S and Xperia SL, now it’s time to do the same for the Sony Xperia Ion. So, if you choose to follow and complete this tutorial, you will be able to learn how to manually flash the latest and official Jelly Bean OS on your Xperia Ion, model number LT 28i and LT 28h. As you might know, the 6.2.B.0.211 Jelly Bean OTA update is bringing some bug fixes and minor improvements for resolving the recently reported problems like heating and battery drain issues.
The present software is not a major update, but if you want to receive the latest features, apps, capabilities and improvements available, you should always flash the official releases of the Android system. That’s why I strongly recommend you to flash the new Jelly Bean 6.2.B.0.211 OS on your Sony Xperia Ion. Since we are talking about the stock ROM, the update has been OTA launched and can be anytime installed via PC companion. But in case you will need to use a manual installation procedure, then return here and resume the present step by step guide.
Anyway, even though this is an official operation, do consider the method risky and complex. So, in order to avoid the unpleasant situations make sure you read and apply all the lines from this guide; don’t perform things by yourselves as you can brick or damage your phone.
First of all, you should know that a rooted handset isn’t required for the operation; the guide though is suitable with both locked and unchained Xperia Ion devices. Also, since you are flashing the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update, you shouldn’t worry as the warranty of your phone will not get voided. Furthermore, if now your Ion is rooted and powered by a custom ROM firmware, after applying the 6.2.B.0.211 software you will be able to restore the warranty and relock the system.
Also, due to the fact that you will manually install the update on your smartphone there are some things to prepare, like: a computer which is being required because the Flash tool must be installed on the same; your phone and its USB cable because you will have to connect the Xperia Ion with the computer. Furthermore, on the computer there shouldn’t be installed any security programs and tools and your handset must be charged – if there is less than 60% power left. Finally don’t forget to enable the USB debugging option from here: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” – else you won’t be able to properly connect the devices.
Even though you will be updating your Sony Xperia Ion with an official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware, the data which is being saved on the internal storage memory of your device might still get corrupted, which means that you can lose important and personal info. That’s why you should consider in backing up the system and the data. Don’t worry as the backup operation can be easily performed as there are numerous apps available on Google Play. Also, if your phone is rooted and installed with a custom recovery image, you can use the tool for performing complex backup operations.
This tutorial is compatible only with the Sony Xperia Ion model number LT 28i and LT 28h. Don’t flash the JB 4.1.2 6.2.B.0.211 update if you have a similar handset because you can easily brick your phone. Also, stick to the steps from below and try not to mess things up.
How to Update Xperia Ion to Official Android 4.1.2 JB 6.2.B.0.211 Firmware
- As already mentioned, on your computer you need to download the Flashing tool; so go here and download the app.
- Then, of course, you should get the Android update file; the same is available on the link from here.
- Save both files on your computer; install the Flash tool (follow the on-screen instruction) and place the update file on the Desktop.
- Then, run the Flash tool by running the “thunder” symbol.
- From the tool that will be opened, select “Flashmode” followed by “ok”.
- Then, tap and “…” and pick the .ftf file – the firmware file from the desktop.
- Now, turn off your Ion.
- Press the Volume Up key and while doing the same plug the USB cable in and connect the smartphone with the computer.
- Once the connection establish, the installation procedure will start automatically.
- Be patience as the process will take a couple of minutes.
- In the end your phone will reboot automatically into Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS.
- If the first boot will take longer than usual, don’t panic, that’s normal.
- Go to “Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number” for checking the build version of the Android OS.
Good job, you have successfully updated your Sony Xperia Ion to latest JB 4.1.2 6.2.B.0.211 firmware. So, test the new ROM and return here for sharing your impressions with us and with other users who might want to try the software. Also, do tell us how things worked for you or if you had problems while trying to apply the steps from above – we will assist you as soon as possible.